What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
An interesting double bill.

I've a feeling Sirk fans (Douglas) have been waiting for these on Blu-ray.

Ford has his oaters, Hitchcock his thrillers, and Sirk, weepers.

Probably nine of them, by my count. And at this time, only a few that haven't made it to Blu-ray domestically, although two - Never Say Goodbye and Written on the Wind (both 1956) are available on DVD. Interlude (1957) appears to be the sole missing title, but possibly Kino will offer it in the future. One would think that Criterion will someday release Written on the Wind.

Both interesting films, and totally in the Sirk mold. Both have Barbara Stanwyck in the lead. All I Desire has Richard Carlson, Lyle Bettger, Marcia Henderson, Lori Nelson and Maureen O'Sullivan. There's Always Tomorrow - Fred MacMurray and Joan Bennett.

All I Desire (1953) was shot by Carl Guthrie, whose career began in 1930, and is seemingly the first of the official weepers. There's Always Tomorrow, Russell Metty - you know his work.

Both are older transfers, with a bit of weave, and remind me of another film I viewed recently, in that it almost appears to be an uprez from SD. Odd, electronic grain structure, with a strange clumping effect.

But strangely, an overall pleasing appearance, if one is seated at a proper distance. I tend to be hyper-critical, and although I noticed something was off, things didn't turn bad until I went up to the screen.

Image – 3.25

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Possibly, but no rush

Recommended (for content)

RAH

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There's Always Tomorrow needs to be upgraded from its DVD incarnation if only to be seen in its OAR. The DVD is a pan-and-scan travesty.
Why p & s something that’s already spherical?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Thank you for this review and particularly for advising that this is not a major upgrade. As you say: no rush.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for this review and particularly for advising that this is not a major upgrade. As you say: no rush.
That is RAH's opinion, but something tells me some of us will see a significant difference between the DVD and this upcoming Blu-ray. Especially those of us viewing on 65" or smaller displays. As RAH stated, he's simply more critical than most of us. I do agree with RAH about one thing, I'm in no rush to buy these titles. I will wait for a more reasonable price as it helps extend my purchasing budget to buy other movies on disc and digital.:)

But strangely, an overall pleasing appearance, if one is seated at a proper distance. I tend to be hyper-critical, and although I noticed something was off, things didn't turn bad until I went up to the screen.

classicscaper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacob
It’s too bad these are not the full blown upgrade most would hope for, but I will likely be purchasing all the same. I tried to watch There’s Always Tomorrow on DVD just a few months ago and had to turn it off 5 minutes into the movie. What was a perfectly fine DVD to my eyes 10 years ago certainly had not withstood the test of time or the upgrades to home viewing system. I only hope some of the issues are not exacerbated in HD, aka the digital clumping RAH mentions.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
Sorry to go off topic but... why do Robert Harris' posts always look like this:

Attachments

• Harris.jpg
    Harris.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 369

tns49

Agent
Real Name
Timothy
Sorry to go off topic but... why do Robert Harris' posts always look like this:
I've seen the same odd thing when following some of the links, but if I go in from the forum itself they come back looking normal. I see similar things in some of the reviews, so its not limited to Robert Harris's posts.

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
Somewhere along the line, the HTML special character codes aren't getting recognized.. ’ is supposed to be curly single close quote. (A straight apostrophe is ').

tigereyes

Agent
Real Name
Paul B, Scott
Written on the Wind is on Bluray in Australia and mighty fine it looks too.1.85 ratio.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
That is RAH's opinion, but something tells me some of us will see a significant difference between the DVD and this upcoming Blu-ray. Especially those of us viewing on 65" or smaller displays. As RAH stated, he's simply more critical than most of us. I do agree with RAH about one thing, I'm in no rush to buy these titles. I will wait for a more reasonable price as it helps extend my purchasing budget to buy other movies on disc and digital.:)

The price is only $15 on Kino's site. How low do you think it will go?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks