What's new

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I didn't realize this 4K disc uses a recycled master. I thought it looks great on 4K regardless but now I'll always imagine it looking nicer if it ever got a fresh scan and re-issued without the AI "enhancements" - something I don't expect will ever happen while JC is alive.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
In the case of Aliens, as he details on the Blu-Ray documentaries, James Horner was under a severe time crunch to deliver a score and had James Cameron and Gale Anne Hurd breathing down his neck and threatening to fire him the whole time, so he can be forgiven for not reinventing the wheel on that one.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
In the case of Aliens, as he details on the Blu-Ray documentaries, James Horner was under a severe time crunch to deliver a score and had James Cameron and Gale Anne Hurd breathing down his neck and threatening to fire him the whole time, so he can be forgiven for not reinventing the wheel on that one.

Seems he had that problem a lot, because he just kept reusing those same music cues over and over and over again for the rest of his career. :biggrin:

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Seems he had that problem a lot, because he just kept reusing those same music cues over and over and over again for the rest of his career. :biggrin:
That combined with directors who said, "I really loved the score you did for Aliens! Why don't you do something just like that for my movie?"

The nice thing about James Horner was that I never had to wait for the "music by" credit to know who'd done the score.

Last edited:

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
That combined with directors who said, "I really loved the score you did for Aliens! Why don't you do something just like that for my movie?"

The nice thing about James Horner was that I never had to wait for the "music by" credit to know who'd done the score.

I don't mean to speak ill of the dead. Horner was a big talent, and he cranked out an astounding volume of work in his time. Some repetition and recycling was inevitable. He was one of the go-to composers who was always on the shortlist for any new blockbuster movie in production.

But, yes, for those paying attention, the over-familiarity of many of his signature music cues got to be frustrating.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I don't mean to speak ill of the dead. Horner was a big talent, and he cranked out an astounding volume of work in his time. Some repetition and recycling was inevitable. He was one of the go-to composers who was always on the shortlist for any new blockbuster movie in production.

But, yes, for those paying attention, the over-familiarity of many of his signature music cues got to be frustrating.
To be fair, that's nothing compared to Akira Ifukube, and he's pretty much universally considered to be a legend. But to be fair to him, the turnaround time that Cameron gave to Horner was nothing compared to what Ifukube had to deal with, especially in the Showa era. He only had a few days on some films from that era -- literally, only a few days -- so he really didn't have a choice but to rely on his standard bag of tricks,

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
When he wasn't ripping off Khachaturian or Prokofiev.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
When he wasn't ripping off Khachaturian or Prokofiev.

I'm not super familiar w/ their music, especially Khachaturian's, but which pieces did Horner plunder for which score?

I do love me some Prokofiev (mainly his violin concertos and sonatas and maybe also piano concertos)...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Indeed. Just about every notable film composer has borrowed heavily from the classics.

Hmmm... did Korngold? ;):D

FWIW, I was actually not that impressed w/ his violin concerto (when I finally got around to checking it out), which he apparently basically did the opposite of what we're talking here (though plundering his own film scores I guess?), heh...

Anyway, seems like vast majority of film scores that borrowed heavily from the classics didn't really borrow from the (IMHO) best of the classics anyway, which is probably why I'm not familiar w/ most such examples, heh... ;)

Honestly, I was very bored by Holst's The Planets for instance and can't remember nearly enough of it to know what John Williams borrowed from it... though sure, I can certainly imagine -- I'm wondering if anyone will bring up some film scores that borrowed from Mahler as his works certainly seem riped for that...

Truthfully, I really don't find most film scores to be that great musically speaking, which is probably why I almost never listen to them apart from the actual movies. Generally, the film scores that I find quite that worthy actually originated from musical theater instead of the film adaptations. Some of John Williams' best works are probably the only exceptions I can think offhand... but really, JW's works are almost child's play compared to vast majority of the classical music canon and not difficult to play at all -- the Star Wars and Harry Potter music can mostly be played to a great extent by anyone w/ the most basic violin skills, including me (as an adult novice), for instance, and I actually use some of that sheet music to motivate my kids early on... although his more recent reworking of some of that in collaboration w/ Anne Sophie Mutter did seem to advance those a good deal more to be somewhat more interesting/complex...

_Man_

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rombrk
Recent bookmarks