What's new

A few words about...™ Alias Jesse James-- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Bob Hope was coming toward the end of an extraordinary career in 1959, with a few good films ahead, but also several that fall well below the comedic quality he'd shown for decades.

Alias Jesse James, presumably shot in 1958 is one of those 5248 films, which actually looks quite nice in Kino's new Blu-ray.

Production photography looks fine, while dupes - all single strand, and not cut short - look precisely like what they are.

One must presume that the film was released at 1.85, but for whatever reason the transfer is 1.66 - not a clue, although the packaging notes 1.85.

I recall seeing this film theatrically, and the highlight for me were the cameos at the tail - a welcome surprise for newcomers.

The talented Norman Z. McLeod's final film at director

Image – 4.25

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Recommended

RAH

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
I have fond memories of seeing ALIAS JESSE JAMES at a jam-packed Saturday afternoon matinee booked with a cartoon carnival. The finale was incredible as all of us kids in the audience were familiar with the cameos and each appearance was met with laughs and cheers.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
I wonder if the footage from the James Garner cameo still exists anyplace. I would love to see that restored to the film.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Mr Harris and other reviewers have given this blu ray a reasonable score, but it is very uninspiring. Image is very grainy in places, the AR is wrong, and the framing looks wrong, I may be wrong but the image looks very slightly squeezed to me. Overall, a disappointment.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Mr Harris and other reviewers have given this blu ray a reasonable score, but it is very uninspiring. Image is very grainy in places, the AR is wrong, and the framing looks wrong, I may be wrong but the image looks very slightly squeezed to me. Overall, a disappointment.
I didn't notice anything wrong but that might be because I was drooling ardently over Rhonda Fleming who looks really good in this. I'll have another look after Christmas but right now I still have a backlog of new discs and I always watch a few Christmas based movies at this time of year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raja hitam
Recent bookmarks