What's new

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Airplane! and The Naked Gun were the pinnacle of these movies. But Leslie Nielsen started to think of himself as a comedian after that and "played funny" more and more as he continued to make comedies, rather than his dead serious approach that made these two films so much funnier.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Actually Ruthless People was directed by all three of the guys, and Big Business was directed by Abrahams. And then there's Ghost, which was directed by Jerry Zucker.
Yes I would have to put Ruthless People way up on my favorite comedies list. I wish this one would be released to BluRay.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
He plays it serious in The Creature Wasn't Nice, the first comedy he did after Airplane.

Had Airplane been released when you cast him in it ? Just wondering if both teams saw the hidden comic potential in Nielsen around the same time.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I like Top Secret! Don’t love it.

watched it last week. It was always more of a miss then a hit for me.
Always felt a little Klunky and feels like it was made before Airplane, before they knew how to make a real movie.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I actually went to the premiere of Goldfinger in New York. Tickets were printed in gold.

I went to a sneak preview at the Village in Westwood about eight weeks before it opened. No one had any idea what the film was going to be, but when the familiar opening came on the screen, the audience went nuts and the reaction was electric throughout.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
But sampling the film, after not seeing it for a number of years, I found myself wondering why South of the South can't make an appearance, and Airplane can?

As at least to my vision of the world and the changing landscape of personal taste, race, creed, et al, it's far more offensive than the Disney film.

Speaking as someone who is 'north of the north' I second why a lot of blatantly racially insensitive fluff gets a walk and 'Song' of the South is still MIA. Quentin Tarantino movies and Wolf of Wall Street immediately come to mind.

But James Baskett?!?! - does it get any better than that? Oh right, Hattie McDaniel too. Well, y'all have yourselves a Zip-a-dee-do-dah kind of day. I know I intend to!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Had Airplane been released when you cast him in it ? Just wondering if both teams saw the hidden comic potential in Nielsen around the same time.

the head of paramount wanted to use Barry manilow as the lead in airplane. It took some behind the scenes sabotage by Tom Parry to undo it.

Big Gay Andy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy Powell
I happen to have both Song of the South and Porgy and Bess on DVD. They are both very difficult films to see, which is a crime because they're both wonderful. For their music alone they should both be made available.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I happen to have both Song of the South and Porgy and Bess on DVD. They are both very difficult films to see, which is a crime because they're both wonderful. For their music alone they should both be made available.

Most curious as neither film has been released on DVD. Legally, that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks