What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
We're instituting a new rating line today, as I've been noting more of late, that catalog titles are receiving more than just a new image harvest, or uncompressed audio.

With their new 4k of Air Force One, a hugely entertaining two decade old political thriller, from Wolfgang Petersen, Columbia not only gives us a new image harvest, which yields an astoundingly beautiful picture, but with the addition of Dolby Atmos, going from the original Dolby 5.1, a much larger, and more encompassing sound stage.

And this affects the overall pleasure derived from the disc in major ways.

These two attributes leave the old ten year-old Blu-ray in the dust.

A great film, made even more inviting with the latest technology.

A 4k catalog release that's a must own.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Absolutely

New program technology yielding important upgrades - 5

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
This title was my very first DVD disc in 1997, before I even had a player, and certainly before I had a decent TV. I still have it.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
...but with the addition of Dolby Atmos, going from the original Dolby 5.1, a much larger, and more encompassing sound stage.

This was shown theatrically in the SDDS 8 channel format, not that it would make much difference at home.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Is it just me, or are the Dolby Atmos re-mixes for many catalog titles (Blade Runner, Superman, and now AFO ) more aggressive and impressive than the Atmos mixes on most current features ?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
About to watch this right now with the wife. Terrific film.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I ordered 'Air Force One' 4K as part of a Buy 2 Get 1 Free promotion at Target.com two weeks ago. The other two titles were 'Predator' 4K and 'Red 1&2' 4K. Target shipped 'Predator' right away. 'Red 1&2' doesn't street until the week of Thanksgiving. And, last week, when 'Air Force One' hit street date, Target didn't do squat. I got an email that the release date had been updated (to Nov 6) but nothing has happened. I called Target customer service on Tuesday and was told it would ship that day. I called again on Thursday and was told it would ship within a week. Still, nothing has happened with it. I saw the title on the shelf in my local Target store on Tuesday.

The item has been processed but not shipped, according to Target's website. It seems trapped in some sort of shipping limbo. I'm getting pretty fed up because I was really looking forward to seeing it in 4K ATMOS glory. Grrrr.

Mark

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just watched it. What a tremendously entertaining action film. Definitely one of Ford’s best.

And jeez was the 4K beautiful. Looked awesome and sounded amazing in Atmos!:thumbsup:

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I ordered 'Air Force One' 4K as part of a Buy 2 Get 1 Free promotion at Target.com two weeks ago. The other two titles were 'Predator' 4K and 'Red 1&2' 4K. Target shipped 'Predator' right away. 'Red 1&2' doesn't street until the week of Thanksgiving. And, last week, when 'Air Force One' hit street date, Target didn't do squat. I got an email that the release date had been updated (to Nov 6) but nothing has happened. I called Target customer service on Tuesday and was told it would ship that day. I called again on Thursday and was told it would ship within a week. Still, nothing has happened with it. I saw the title on the shelf in my local Target store on Tuesday.

The item has been processed but not shipped, according to Target's website. It seems trapped in some sort of shipping limbo. I'm getting pretty fed up because I was really looking forward to seeing it in 4K ATMOS glory. Grrrr.

Mark

I wish I had heard about that promotion. I’m a regular Target shopper and somehow missed it.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I wish I had heard about that promotion. I’m a regular Target shopper and somehow missed it.
You should check out the regular Weekly Round-Up section of this self-same website ... the Money You Save Will be Your Own :D

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
You should check out the regular Weekly Round-Up section of this self-same website ... the Money You Save Will be Your Own :D

Well, I do, but managed to miss it. I anxiously await the thread every week and then subscribe to it. Oh well. I’m sure there will be plenty more opportunities for me to “save” money. :lol:

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I can only imagine how awful the VFX climax of the movie will look with the clarity of 4k HDR. The opening weekend audience, myself included, howled with laughter watching that scene in a theater. It looked like it had been drawn in crayon.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I can only imagine how awful the VFX climax of the movie will look with the clarity of 4k HDR. The opening weekend audience, myself included, howled with laughter watching that scene in a theater. It looked like it had been drawn in crayon.
I was expecting the worst from that scene too but amazingly it didn’t look too bad I thought. Pretty good actually.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Will be attempting to buy this at Black Friday for $10

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Just watched this 4k disc, which I received as a gift recently. I always liked the movie, but the 4k presentation is terrific. The image never got too dark and the colors always shone through. I wish more catalog titles could look this good.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Just watched this 4k disc, which I received as a gift recently. I always liked the movie, but the 4k presentation is terrific. The image never got too dark and the colors always shone through. I wish more catalog titles could look this good.
It’s Mr. Crisp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks