What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
A perennial favorite, especially for those who grew up on the Universal monsters -- even on TV -- this 1948 horror / comedy still works on the funny bone, while bringing a few of the classic monsters back from their resting places.

While I'm not a huge fan of A & C, this one has always worked for me, and the Universal Blu-ray is a nice presentation.

While not part of the formal centenary restoration program, A & C Meet Frankenstein is hardly an old transfer. The scanning element was a composite fine grain master struck from the original negative in 2009, with some additional dirt clean-up performed for the new Blu-ray.

Generally the image has been cleaned of major problems, and while it still could have used a bit of clean-up, this is not a restored title.

The main titles are window boxed, which never thrills me, and they appear to be a generation or two away from the body of the film -- possibly something to do with the fact that they contain animation.

The Blu-ray has generally pleasing blacks, and what appears to be a full grayscale. Detail is evident, making the Blu-ray miles ahead of the older DVD -- which it should be.

At a street price of $24, it seems a bit pricey for what it is, as I place it on par with the recently discussed Rio Grande from Olive. For Olive, I can understand a higher price point being necessary, as titles are licensed. For studio product, and with the minimal amount of work that went into its release, I would have preferred to see this priced closer to $15 at street, especially as an unrestored title.

With To Kill a Mockingbird priced at $16, Harvey at $20, and Born on the Fourth at $15, I'm a bit confused as to how these are priced.

Terrific film, too expensive, and I'd love to see an end to window boxing.

Image - 3.5

Audio - 4

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm getting ready to view this disc in its entirety, but before I do, as to the pricing, I was able to buy this disc much cheaper than Harvey. However, I see now the price of Harvey has gone down to a more reasonable pricepoint. Anyhow, they're both the same MSRP at 26.98 each. I suspect both with the DVD and Digital copy is the reason why they're price so high, but I agree with you that this release should be more like $15. At least it has some bonus material which might have been ported over from the previous DVD release.

Anyhow, enough from me, as I'm in the mood to see Bud and Lou meet "Junior". Before I go, the line from Costello to Lon Jr. about wolves on Saturday night is still a very classic line to me.

Crawdaddy

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by bgart13 /t/323332/a-few-words-about-abbott-costello-meet-frankenstein-in-blu-ray#post_3967774
B&N has it online for under $17 right now (40% off sale...).
Well worth that price of admission.

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford /t/323332/a-few-words-about-abbott-costello-meet-frankenstein-in-blu-ray#post_3967765
I'm getting ready to view this disc in its entirety, but before I do, as to the pricing, I was able to buy this disc much cheaper than Harvey. However, I see now the price of Harvey has gone down to a more reasonable pricepoint. Anyhow, they're both the same MSRP at 26.98 each. I suspect both with the DVD and Digital copy is the reason why they're price so high, but I agree with you that this release should be more like $15. At least it has some bonus material which might have been ported over from the previous DVD release.

Anyhow, enough from me, as I'm in the mood to see Bud and Lou meet "Junior". Before I go, the line from Costello to Lon Jr. about wolves on Saturday night is still a very classic line to me.

Crawdaddy
Well, I got that line wrong.

Lon Jr: In a half hour, the moon becomes full and I'll turn into a wolf. Lou Costello: Yeah, you and 20 million other guys.

Had a great time revisiting that classic comedy with its spoof of Universal Horror.

Crawdaddy

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford /t/323332/a-few-words-about-abbott-costello-meet-frankenstein-in-blu-ray#post_3967824
Well, I got that line wrong.

Lon Jr: In a half hour, the moon becomes full and I'll turn into a wolf. Lou Costello: Yeah, you and 20 million other guys.

Had a great time revisiting that classic comedy with its spoof of Universal Horror.

Crawdaddy
A great film. And at 16 bucks....

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
With my Barnes and Noble membership, this came to $15.77, including sales tax. I was pretty thrilled. :tu:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
This movie is easily in my top ten list of "favorite" movies. It is a very affectionate, in my mind anyway, poke in the ribs of the Universal Monsters. Barnes and Noble, here I come.
Robert, that wolf line is terrific, but I'm sure the first time I saw this movie, I didn't get it. Many, many years ago.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
This review makes me very happy and excited.
I was dreading that this would turn out to be another overly cleaned, de-grained image from Universal.
Mine is now on its way from Amazon.
Thanks RAH!!!

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Real Name
James Nelson
My copy arrived yesterday. I think it looks marvelous, an appreciable step up from the DVD.
As noted, the opening titles are windowboxed -- heavily. The borders seem larger than in other windowboxed titles.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
The one comedy team i want to see a major upgrade is The Marx Brothers. TCM has broadcast some their films with a cleaner print than the dvd releases but have a feeling that it will be a while before some studio or company will do a good restoration on their films and release a nice blu-ray box set

Just watched this tonight...a beautiful disc. I'm very excited for the essential Universal monster films now.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
Johnny Angell said:
My B&N didn't have it and it was on back order. Crap.
I lucked out. My local B&N only had one copy.
atcolomb said:
The one comedy team i want to see a major upgrade is The Marx Brothers.
Yes, yes, and yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks