What's new

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
The header for this thread shows an image of the operation and staircase and has significant color registration issues. Is this an accurate representation of the film ?

Look at the review here: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_67/a_matter_of_life_and_death_blu-ray.htm

Beautifully composited!:dancing-banana-04:
960__matter_life_death_X03_blu-ray__blu-ray_.jpg

960__matter_life_death_X01_blu-ray__blu-ray_.jpg

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
And those are his usual ill-taken caps - can you imagine what this actually looks like? And clearly Mr. Harris did not post anything actually having to do with this transfer in the header other than his text.

Reactions: PMF

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
I should also point out that Gary does not appreicate people "using" his screens. It used to be an understandable concern over bandwidth and storage issues but maybe not so critical now? In any case I really recommend you do your own screens, not quote his. They have always been problematic anyway.

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos

Thanks very much for this. This looks absolutely gorgeous. What is it about the beautiful Technicolor that gives the film something extra. This is the type of film I watch alone but also one of the reasons I built a room in the first place.

Who selected the image in the header for Robert's "A Few Words About.." I wonder ?

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Thank you, Mr. Harris! This is wonderful news. "A Matter of Life and Death" is one of my absolute favorite films - ever. I first saw it some (50?) years ago [...]
50 years ago for "Life and Death"; whereas "Colonial Blimp" is always marked by 40 years.;)

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I will gladly preorder this. Can't risk my B & N not getting it in. So happy this is getting released. I wonder how restoration expert Christopher Nolan feels about this being restored digitally and how he would do it photochemically?
What?!!! I was of the understanding that Nolan was behind this project. I mean, I had read it on-line; and if its on-line then it's got to be true. Well, if Nolan's not involved with "Life and Death" then all bets are off and I'll wait until his edition is finally released.:lol:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]Who selected the image in the header for Robert's "A Few Words About.." I wonder ?
I believe it was Thelma Schoonmaker who made the selection.:rolleyes:
[And just to be certain and not create any on-line rumors, I was only making a joke.]:)

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
What?!!! I was of the understanding that Nolan was behind this project. I mean, I had read it on-line; and if its on-line then it's got to be true. Well, if Nolan's not involved with "Life and Death" then all bets are off and I'll wait until his edition is finally released.:lol:
I think it's a travesty that on Colonel Blimp they scanned the 3 strips Technicolor neg individually and with digital technology they were able to align the strips. The registration needs to be off because film shrinks, so that image header is how I want it to look, because it's film. LONG LIVE ANALOGUE. If that's how Life and Death was done, it's blasphemy. Sarcasm. (Just being sarcastic)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Is there any clarified news concerning Criterion releasing more of their former Powell & Pressburger DVD titles onto BD?

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
It’s great, but you need to watch the four minute resto short which looks like its had a slightly bigger dose of HDR, it zings the pop up yet another degree. We watched on a 60inch screen last night, I’m putting it through the 4k projector with HDR today for a tryout. It certainly looks beautiful, gorgeous grain and flawless alignment.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
At the risk of starting World War 6 I would very much like to hear people's responses to these. FIrst screen of each screen is from the movie folder, and second screen (not exact matches) is from the four minute restoration
vlcsnap-2018-07-20-16h41m48s491.png
vlcsnap-2018-07-23-16h18m38s817.png
vlcsnap-2018-07-20-16h42m31s927.png
vlcsnap-2018-07-23-16h20m37s407.png
demo on the new disc.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I'm halfway through and all I can say is - wow. For those of us who have seen dye transfer prints and then had to suffer through every previous home video iteration and be told that the French Blu-ray was somehow "okay" to finally have this looking as it should - it is spectacular, it is brilliant - I knew it from the first frame of color on the Archers logo and then the first frame of the credits with the BLUE background which is finally BLUE, deep, beautiful BLUE. This has taken my breath away on several occasions so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks