What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ A Hole in the Head -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

I recall seeing Frank Capra's A Hole in the Head (strangely) in Miami Beach.

Unfortunately Olive's new Blu-ray neither looks nor sounds like the above mentioned film at the time of release.

Although Mr. Capra created many superb classic films in the 1930s through '40s, after his work after the war slowed measurably.  Between 1946 (It's a Wonderful Life) and 1961 (Pocketful of Miracles), there were only a few titles.

State of the Union - 1948

Riding High - 1950

Here Comes the Groom - 1951

and

A Hole in the Head - 1959

While A Hole in the Head isn't a great film, it's fun, and I've always remembered High Hopes, sung by Mr. Sinatra and young Eddie Hodges.

The problem here, is that the element used for the transfer wasn't great to begin with.  Color is iffy at times, while not bad.  Small scratches come and go, along with a plethora of detritus.

Beyond that, something odd occurs, that isn't normally a problem for a 1959 production.

The track is unacceptable.  It's noisy, over modulated and distorted.  Besides that, it's fine.

Normally, I suggest picking up a film, simply to see what Mr. Capra had done with it.

This one.  Not so much.

Image - 3

Audio - 2

Pass / Fail - Fail

RAH

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
So irritating - I also found Pocketful of Miracles a little on the brown side - skin tones pasty and not what they should be.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Oh dear. I was looking forward to this one. I really like the film and just love the cast. I'll stick with my DVD.

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
Sinatra was so endearing in this one. I still get sweaty palms when I watch the scene at the race track when he is desperately trying project the image of a successful high roller in order to pitch the idea of a Disneyland in Florida (who'd a thunk it?) to his now wealthy "old buddy", Keenan Wynn. Edward G. Robinson is a scream in one of his rare comedic roles. lol. That chair bit!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Very disappointing.

Definitely a fun movie, and one that meant a lot to me as my family was about to move from Ohio to Fort Lauderdale. I think we first saw it in downtown Columbus. I later loved our first drives through Miami Beach with it in mind.

Damn, damn, damn, damn.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I always thought this film looked mediocre at best over the course of various home video formats. I'll try to check out my BD this weekend and do a few comparisons to the DVD.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Robert Crawford said:
I always thought this film looked mediocre at best over the course of various home video formats. I'll try to check out my BD this weekend and do a few comparisons to the DVD.
I'd like to hear your thoughts on how it compares with the DVD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Rob_Ray said:
I'd like to hear your thoughts on how it compares with the DVD.
I've been watching the BD and though it looks rough in some places, I think it's on par with many of Olive releases. I pulled out the DVD so I'll be doing some comparisons today. I'll know for sure later today, but there is little doubt this BD will look better than the DVD as I don't have fond memories of the latter. My next step though is to pay attention to the audio because of RAH's comments.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Robert Crawford said:
Perhaps so, but I'm glad they're around, otherwise, they'll be several titles I wouldn't have on BD.

Yes, absolutely.

I watched The Hangman last night. (I'm a fan of Robert Taylor, Tina Louise, Dudley Nichols and Michael Curtiz) The images were not dazzlingly good but I really enjoyed the film and I would not want to be without this disc.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robin9 said:
Yes, absolutely.

I watched The Hangman last night. (I'm a fan of Robert Taylor, Tina Louise, Dudley Nichols and Michael Curtiz) The images were not dazzlingly good but I really enjoyed the film and I would not want to be without this disc.
Without question, they could do better with just some simple cleanup work, but as a film buff I'm still glad they're around.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Jari K said:
I love Sinatra. This is still the best version of the film, so I'll take it.
It certainly is. On two different plasma displays, I sampled this BD to the 2001 DVD. No surprise the BD is superior in every way. The DVD is letterbox. I think A Hole in the Head came out on DVD again in a Frank Sinatra box set back about 5-6 years ago so I don't know if it was still letterbox in that set. Anyhow, I played various scenes from each disc on the two different displays and though, the BD is no great shakes with my 3.5 video rating, the 2001 DVD was abysmal in comparison. I'll say this again, the BD could be better with some cleanup on the dirt and some scratches removed, but it's obvious the film elements used from which this BD was deriived is in pretty bad shape. From my personal perspective, I'm happy I bought this BD, as now, I can throw the DVD out without any hesitation.

As to RAH's comments about the audio. I didn't noticed what he described, but perhaps, my listening skills are lacking to pick up those audio deficiencies. If some others have this BD, please post your comments about whether you're hearing those audio issues.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Robert Crawford said:
it certainly is. On two different plasma displays, I sampled this BD to the 2001 DVD. No surprise the BD is superior in every way. The DVD is letterbox. I think A Hole in the Head came out on DVD again in a Frank Sinatra box set back about 5-6 years ago so I don't know if it was still letterbox in that set. Anyhow, I played various scenes from each disc on the two different displays and though, the BD is no great shakes with my 3.5 video rating, the 2001 DVD was abysmal in comparison. I'll say this again, the BD could be better with some cleanup on the dirt and some scratches removed, but it's obvious the film elements used from which this BD was deriived is in pretty bad shape. From my personal perspective, I'm happy I bought this BD, as now, I can throw the DVD out without any hesitation.

As to RAH's comments about the audio. I didn't noticed what he described, but perhaps, my listening skills are lacking to pick up those audio deficiencies. If some others have this BD, please post your comments about whether you're hearing those audio issues.

Robert,

I found the track flat, heavily distorted and vapid.

Here's the review from HighDefDigest, with which I disagree on all counts:

"Featuring a DTS-HD Master Audio Stereo track, ‘A Hole In The Head’ comes through with fine clarity. For a film of this vintage, there aren’t any audio anomalies, or hisses and pops disrupting the track. Voices are given plenty of range to breathe and fill the area they’re given. The minimalist Nelson Riddle score doesn’t have to compete with the dialog and motivated street sounds feel clean and natural.

Being a Sinatra film, this movie isn’t without a sporadic music number from Ol’ Blue Eyes, and fans should be pleased to hear that featured songs “All My Tomorrows,” and Oscar winning number “High Hopes” sound fantastic. A great mix all around. "

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert Harris said:
Robert,

I found the track flat, heavily distorted and vapid.

Here's the review from HighDefDigest, with which I disagree on all counts:

"Featuring a DTS-HD Master Audio Stereo track, ‘A Hole In The Head’ comes through with fine clarity. For a film of this vintage, there aren’t any audio anomalies, or hisses and pops disrupting the track. Voices are given plenty of range to breathe and fill the area they’re given. The minimalist Nelson Riddle score doesn’t have to compete with the dialog and motivated street sounds feel clean and natural.

Being a Sinatra film, this movie isn’t without a sporadic music number from Ol’ Blue Eyes, and fans should be pleased to hear that featured songs “All My Tomorrows,” and Oscar winning number “High Hopes” sound fantastic. A great mix all around. "
After reading that review, there isn't much I do agree with from that reviewer. :) This appears to be his first time watching this film. As to the audio issues you've heard, I'm not questioning them, just that it wasn't noticeable to my hearing or lack thereof. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks