What's new

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
But wouldn’t JPEG compression make crushed blacks worse, if anything?
Hard to say since there are so many variables involved. Bottom line though is that screenshots are a notoriously unreliable way of evaluating the quality of real, in-motion 1080p or 4K video.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hard to say since there are so many variables involved. Bottom line though is that screenshots are a notoriously unreliable way of evaluating the quality of real, in-motion 1080p or 4K video.

Fortunately, we don't have to rely on them alone... especially the Beaver's, which probably offers the least reliable/useful ones around (at least amongst the better known sites anyway)...

_Man_

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I'd be very hesitant about judging black levels based on a few compressed JPEG screenshots.
One could argue that bad screenshots could obscure shadow detail but they certainly cannot create it.

By the way easy to see the black crush of TGTBATU here that unfortunately is also visible on the disc. One does not even have to open the 4k caps as it is so obvious next to the BD caps:

SuperClark

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Clark
Its interesting that Clint was offered the role of the revenge driven character of 'Harmonica' in 'Once upon a time in the west' but he declined.One reason I read was he didn't want to work with Leone again.Saying he was tempmental like Yosemite Sam haha,and another was that he was concerned about being type cast in spaghetti westerns.Bronson certainly did a great job.Both that film and The Good,The Bad and the Ugly feature terrific opening scenes.And are among the best westerns ever.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I noticed on both 4K discs that No MGM Lion or UA logo appear before the start of the films. ? :confused: The GTB&TU 4K has the colorful UA logo on it. Wonder why the first 2 have none. It's strange to see them both just start after the Menu. ? :huh:
aaa UA LOGO.jpg
AAAA united-artists-1919-1967-.png

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Its interesting that Clint was offered the role of the revenge driven character of 'Harmonica' in 'Once upon a time in the west' but he declined.One reason I read was he didn't want to work with Leone again.Saying he was tempmental like Yosemite Sam haha,and another was that he was concerned about being type cast in spaghetti westerns.Bronson certainly did a great job.Both that film and The Good,The Bad and the Ugly feature terrific opening scenes.And are among the best westerns ever.
I think Charles Broson was perfect counterpart to Hank Fondas sociopath heavy. A great opportunity for BOTH actors to work outside the confines of previous parts.

Chewbabka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
I noticed on both 4K discs that No MGM Lion or UA logo appear before the start of the films. ? :confused: The GTB&TU 4K has the colorful UA logo on it. Wonder why the first 2 have none. It's strange to see them both just start after the Menu. ? :huh: View attachment 139960 View attachment 139962
I seem to recall reading that the UA logo on GBU was a recreation and wasn’t original to the film.

I’m perfectly happy not to have that shitty, uncanny valley CGI lion MGM is using now prefacing these masterworks.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I’m perfectly happy not to have that shitty, uncanny valley CGI lion MGM is using now prefacing these masterworks.

I tend to wince when I see a pre-Internet film prefaced by a studio card that includes the company's URL. It ruins the ambiance. The MGM and UA cards are the biggest offender.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I noticed on both 4K discs that No MGM Lion or UA logo appear before the start of the films. ? :confused: The GTB&TU 4K has the colorful UA logo on it. Wonder why the first 2 have none. It's strange to see them both just start after the Menu. ? :huh: View attachment 139960 View attachment 139962

Supposedly, there's some disagreement over whether that logo appeared on the original prints or not. That top one is what UA was using in 1967, but they may have applied it inconsistently.

United Artists (and later as MGM/UA) has been updating logos on most of their movies since at least the dawn of home video, and maybe even before on theatrical re-issue prints. So it's often difficult to tell just which logo (if any) originally played in front of which movie. For whatever reason, the infamous 1982 logo with the Joe Harnell music has survived more often than others.

Kent K H

Second Unit
Supposedly, there's some disagreement over whether that logo appeared on the original prints or not. That top one is what UA was using in 1967, but they may have applied it inconsistently.

United Artists (and later as MGM/UA) has been updating logos on most of their movies since at least the dawn of home video, and maybe even before on theatrical re-issue prints. So it's often difficult to tell just which logo (if any) originally played in front of which movie. For whatever reason, the infamous 1982 logo with the Joe Harnell music has survived more often than others.
The important thing is that it survived before Strange Brew.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The majority of UA films released prior to June 13, 1967 had no opening logo. Simple as that.

GBU came out in December of 67 so I can't understand why there would be an argument.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
First time I hear he was offered the part that Bronson played. Pretty sure it was the other way around and Leone had wanted to work with Bronson before but instead got Eastwood for the first Dollar movie:

In any case Leone offered Eastwood one of the roles of the three guys waiting at the train station (that still exists by the way) and predictably Eastwood declined:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I read it here and on wikipedia

Kind of contradicts that Leone wanted Eastwood, Wallach and Van Cleef to play the three guys who get shot in the beginning.

In any case harmonica is different from the characters Eastwood played in the first three movies so it is good to have that change.
Now we only need for Once Upon a Time in the West to make it to UHD, too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RGG
Recent bookmarks