What's new

JosephK

Auditioning
Real Name
Forrest
Does anyone know the best way to contact Warner Brothers about quality control? I’m sure the Kubrick Estate would want to recall A Clockwork Orange’s 4K botched soundtrack.

JosephK

Auditioning
Real Name
Forrest
The film is told from Alex's point of view, and he's a classic unreliable narrator. He's a sociopath who views himself as the most interesting person on earth, and he views everyone else as a two dimensional gross caricature, which is why it is so easy for him to commit violence against them. The film's portrayal of every other character reflects his perception.
Exactly. And besides, satire deals in caricatures to begin with. It would be like somebody criticizing Team America: World Police for “dehumanizing” non-Americans by portraying America as the center of the world — but that was precisely the point of the satire.

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
The film is told from Alex's point of view, and he's a classic unreliable narrator. He's a sociopath who views himself as the most interesting person on earth, and he views everyone else as a two dimensional gross caricature, which is why it is so easy for him to commit violence against them. The film's portrayal of every other character reflects his perception.
So is the novel but minus the fish-eye grotesque lens of the other characters. And knowing Kubrick's work, Deltoid's overacting is just that. What POV is the writer's eyes bulging as Alex sings?

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
Exactly. And besides, satire deals in caricatures to begin with. It would be like somebody criticizing Team America: World Police for “dehumanizing” non-Americans by portraying America as the center of the world — but that was precisely the point of the satire.
That's like saying "You can't criticize satire for being obvious!" And yeah, I consider SP easy obvious satire (puppets shitting themselves! Peter Jackson did it smarter). By that standard, all satire must be viewed uncritically. DR. STRANGELOVE is my peak film satire. ACO, with all its technical brilliance, has elements but places us in Alex's camp without Burgess's humanity. I get why people love ACO because I did too, but over the years my uncritical love faded. The fact that KOROVA weed and Alex t-shirts thrive is kind of a clue that the message was slightly obfuscated. And that Kubrick pulled the film from circulation for fear of copy-cat crimes (right or wrong, his decision) isn't a huge testament to its satirical effect.

Last edited:

JosephK

Auditioning
Real Name
Forrest
That's like saying "You can't criticize satire for being obvious!" And yeah, I consider SP easy obvious satire (puppets shitting themselves! Peter Jackson did it smarter). By that standard, all satire must be viewed uncritically. DR. STRANGELOVE is my peak film satire. ACO, with all its technical brilliance, has elements but places us in Alex's camp without Burgess's humanity. I get why people love ACO because I did too, but over the years my uncritical love faded. The fact that KOROVA weed and Alex t-shirts thrive is kind of a clue that the message was slightly obfuscated. And that Kubrick pulled the film from circulation for fear of copy-cat crimes (right or wrong, his decision) isn't a huge testament to its satirical effect.
A Clockwork Orange, Dr. Strangelove, and Team America are all👌

And if people misunderstand satire that’s on them. Most South Park fans are morons. That doesn’t change my opinion on Trey Parker being a brilliant satirist. If people fetishize the violence in A Clockwork Orange, that just means they’re dumb.

Last edited:

JosephK

Auditioning
Real Name
Forrest
So is the novel but minus the fish-eye grotesque lens of the other characters. And knowing Kubrick's work, Deltoid's overacting is just that. What POV is the writer's eyes bulging as Alex sings?
I honestly don’t see Deltoid or Mr. Alexander as being any more zany or “over the top” than George C. Scott or Sterling Hayden in Dr. Strangelove. I know you’ll have some rationalization as to why you think I’m wrong, but I think any honest observer would have to say that the performances in both films are more or less equally cartoonish and kabuki-like. And I love it. People too often associate heightened or exaggerated performance as “over the top” and “unreal”. But go watch a Charles Manson clip on YouTube — or, hell, watch a Trump rally. If anything, Kubrick’s vision is closer to reality than so-called “naturalistic” acting.

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
I honestly don’t see Deltoid or Mr. Alexander as being any more zany or “over the top” than George C. Scott or Sterling Hayden in Dr. Strangelove. I know you’ll have some rationalization as to why you think I’m wrong, but I think any honest observer would have to say that the performances in both films are more or less equally cartoonish and kabuki-like. And I love it. People too often associate heightened or exaggerated performance as “over the top” and “unreal”. But go watch a Charles Manson clip on YouTube — or, hell, watch a Trump rally. If anything, Kubrick’s vision is closer to reality than so-called “naturalistic” acting.
And Scott complained that Kubrick took his most manic takes, the ones he didn't like, and used those in the film (to not always great effect as some of Scott's takes are exactly the kind of over the top style that would lead Kubrick to letting Nicholson chew through doors). Hayden works because he IS insane (although more quiet and subtle than Scott) and DS is a Mad Magazine movie. Deltoid ("Yes, Alex, hmmm? Yes?") grabbing Alex in the balls (a silly moment not in the novel for obvious reasons) just plays weird and psycho-sexual to further justify Alex as Hero. That's fine, but it's cheap, reductive imho and the kind of thing that as I get older, I find less daring. Kubrick is one of my cine-idols so his rep can survive li'l ole me take me not loving ACO anymore or always disliking THE SHINING as I buy every other upgrade disc...

Last edited:

JosephK

Auditioning
Real Name
Forrest
And Scott complained that Kubrick took his most manic takes, the ones he didn't like, and used those in the film (to not always great effect as some of Scott's takes are exactly the kind of over the top style that would lead Kubrick to letting Nicholson chew through doors). Hayden works because he IS insane (although more quiet and subtle than Scott) and DS is a Mad Magazine movie. Deltoid ("Yes, Alex, hmmm? Yes?") grabbing Alex in the balls (a silly moment not in the novel for obvious reasons) just plays weird and psycho-sexual to further justify Alex as Hero. That's fine, but it's cheap, reductive imho and the kind of thing that as I get older, I find less daring. Kubrick is one of my cine-idols so his rep can survive li'l ole me take me not loving ACO anymore or always disliking THE SHINING as I buy every other upgrade disc...
Fair enough. Again, I stand by my opinion that it’s not necessarily “over the top”, and that people in general have a skewed but irrational bias in favor of naturalistic acting, which is illusory because it too is stylized. If you really compare the way people act in standard dramas to real human behavior in an objective manner, the asymmetry becomes manifest in ways that are typically under the radar for anyone that doesn’t engage in such observation.

When you watch Hitler give a speech, for example, it’s so absurd and ridiculously over-dramatic that if I pitched Hitler as an idea to a studio, I’d be shot down because it’s just too insane to believe. And yet, here we are, with this clown being the face of human evil. If anything, Kubrick gets closer to the essence of madness and evil with such performances.

There’s nothing in Dr. Strangelove that seems unrealistic to me given the state of current events in the last few years. I’ve witnessed things that, if anything, make Kubrick‘s satires seem restrained. Hell, I myself once had a psychotic episode during a fungal infection, and I was bouncing off the walls batshit crazy.

Don’t underestimate the archetype of the dark clown. The dark clown is at the basis of human evil. Kubrick was acutely aware of this reality, and it’s one reason his films resonate.

The performances of Jack Nicholson, R. Lee Ermey, George C. Scott, Peter Sellers, and Malcolm McDowel, among others, in the Kubrick films are are crazy. But no crazier than the real world. Kabuki and Noh are the yin and yang of acting. Kubrick perfected the subdued, subtle, and underplayed as well in Keir Duella, Tom Cruise, and Ryan O’Neil. It’s all beautiful. It all balances.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I noticed that the UHD disc is HDR-10, while the iTunes version is Dolby Vision (unless I have a setting messed up somewhere). I'm sure it doesn't matter, but was just curious why this would be?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I noticed that the UHD disc is HDR-10, while the iTunes version is Dolby Vision (unless I have a setting messed up somewhere). I'm sure it doesn't matter, but was just curious why this would be?
Jeff, I've seen that a few other times beforehand with other movies. It's also in Dolby Vision on Vudu and Movies Anywhere.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I got this in my P.O. box this morning. Will give it a spin this afternoon, and post my thoughts.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Wow- the video seems much better than the BluRay, but the audio is much different, at least in the very first scene.
I don’t pay a lot of attention to audio in the films, but it seems to me that the 5.1 mix is too front and center loaded, especially in the Singin’ In The Rain scene.

Last edited:

JosephK

Auditioning
Real Name
Forrest
Wow- the video seems much better than the BluRay, but the audio is much different, at least in the very first scene.
I don’t pay a lot of attention to audio in the films, but it seems to me that the 5.1 mix is too front and center loaded, especially in the Singin’ In The Rain scene.
It’s much worse in Alex’s narration. It’s such a shame. The video is excellent. And the earlier 5.1 Leon Vitale did for the remastered DVD (also on the Blu-ray) was a great mix. Why they downgraded it is beyond comprehension. I emailed the Kubrick Estate recently to give them a heads up and hopefully this issue can be corrected.

Kubrick’s original mono mix on the 4K is for the most part a fine one, but sadly it’s highly compressed. If the mono was uncompressed, I’d be much happier with this release. 2001 is the only Warner 4K release so far that was flawless. Of non-4K, the flawless releases are the Criterion Blu-rays, with the original remastered Vitale DVDs being highly admirable.

In the meantime, while my fingers are crossed for a corrected disc of A Clockwork Orange, I plan to burn a disc which integrates the earlier 5.1 audio and the 4K image.

What a disappointment.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
A post was just deleted because it referenced a current political figure. We do not allow such political references because it can lead to political discussion on this forum which is taboo on the HTF.

SeanSKA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Moe specifically Amazon issues, but I'd be surprised if most titles aren't being partially produced right now. Best Buy appears to be slated to have them in store tomorrow.
I couldn't find this film in 3 different Best buys in NYC....I didn't even see a space for it, so I don't think they even stocked it. Finally just ordered it online

titch

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
No-one has mentioned the original theatrical trailer for A Clockwork Orange. The work of Pablo Ferro, this is the trailer as modern art. At least as good as the trailer for The Shining.

David Norman

Premium
I couldn't find this film in 3 different Best buys in NYC....I didn't even see a space for it, so I don't think they even stocked it. Finally just ordered it online

Could be they presold all the copies those stores were supposed to have or those stores just got their delivery late. I'm not sure if there are still regional supply/delivery issues

I know a bunch of folks did find them in store though many stores got the Steelbooks a few days late and with the Release date hard to Find, it sent the resellers into a buying frenzy -- enough so that a bunch of people reported stores putting up 1 Per Customer signs after a few reports of people running into the store at opening and scooping up the whole supply

mskaye

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Kochman
No-one has mentioned the original theatrical trailer for A Clockwork Orange. The work of Pablo Ferro, this is the trailer as modern art. At least as good as the trailer for The Shining.
Genius, as is this one from Dr. Strangelove...

Per the comment from JosephK:
"The performances of Jack Nicholson, R. Lee Ermey, George C. Scott, Peter Sellers, and Malcolm McDowel, among others, in the Kubrick films are are crazy. But no crazier than the real world. Kabuki and Noh are the yin and yang of acting. Kubrick perfected the subdued, subtle, and underplayed as well in Keir Duella, Tom Cruise, and Ryan O’Neil. It’s all beautiful. It all balances."

Kubrick, like Frankenheimer in Manchurian Candidate, understood all too well the clownish, buffoon-like behaviors of powerful political figures.

titch

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
There's a super feature on Kurbrick and Burgess in the latest edition of Sight and Sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Software Testing Training
Recent bookmarks