What's new

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
But in no way noticeable from a normal seating distance.

4k seems to be taking on a life of its own, and in most cases more sizzle than reality.

A newly produced standard issue Blu would probably look just (or almost as good) as the new 4k.

4k is meant to be something special.

Businesses in the industry are naturally going to take advantage of the consumers ignorance of these things.

Some of the 4k releases suggest this along with planned future releases.

I have recently purchased the first 3 Mad Max Blu Ray discs as they all received favourable reviews.

Naturally 4k announcements come mere weeks after purchase.

However, I made the purchases with the assumption that the first 2 Mad Max pictures were low budget affairs with poor quality film stocks used to make them hence my Blu Ray buys.

I am looking forward to seeing your review of The Road Warrior on 4k when it does finally get released to see if it will be complete overkill or not.

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
Also, it's meant to make money for the industry

I personally think it may make more than Blu Ray.

4k is way more sellable than Blu Ray from a product label selling point in my opinion.

It will be interesting if this occurs considering that in a lot of cases Blu Ray would be the right format for the movie to be released.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm not trying to be funny but how do you know the resolution isn't more than 3k without knowing the type of film used?

Can you observe this by just watching the movie?

A nosy parker wishes to know these things.
Yes. One can know by looking at it. Not so much the stock, which would have been 5254, same as Godfather, but optics, filters, et al. It’s not a sharp film, overall.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well when the market has stalled at 7% and is beginning to decline again. I think tethering the format to overpriced combo packs nobody wanted may be the culprit.
However, you're not taking in consideration the monies they're getting for 4K streaming.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
But in no way noticeable from a normal seating distance.

4k seems to be taking on a life of its own, and in most cases more sizzle than reality.

A newly produced standard issue Blu would probably look just (or almost as good) as the new 4k.

4k is meant to be something special.

But doesn't HDR and rec 2020 and still getting ~3K better than 2K and rec 709 SDR? Is there any downfall with it being on UHD BD?

I ask because I know it's been said that a 4K scan of the OCN for some movies doesn't bring out any other detail yet overemphasizes grain especially with HDR. I think this was mentioned about Spaceballs and Ghostbusters - 1984. Not sure if Trek 1-4 falls into this category.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
But the 2011 release was the same old master, as I recall. This was controversial, as the Blu-ray was released after the 4K restoration had played at Cannes, yet did not use that restoration*.

Yeah, when I reviewed the 2011, I opined that it was from the same master.

I still wanted to specify it was the 2011 disc not the 2007 because I figured someone might care and ask if I didn't say that!

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
Looks like this is another title with supply chain issues. I preordered the day it went up, but Amazon sent me a notification that my order is not expected to arrive until October 13...

Real Name
GaryWilliamWhitley
I never liked this film,saw it first run center city saw on sat.,first weekend only four patrons viewing the film

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Looks like this is another title with supply chain issues. I preordered the day it went up, but Amazon sent me a notification that my order is not expected to arrive until October 13...

Moe specifically Amazon issues, but I'd be surprised if most titles aren't being partially produced right now. Best Buy appears to be slated to have them in store tomorrow.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Weren't most films going 'soft' around 68/69? It seemed to have coincided with the collapse of the studio system and a newer younger audience being the majority of film patrons. Of course there was the fluke that was the Todd AO Airport.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Weren't most films going 'soft' around 68/69? It seemed to have coincided with the collapse of the studio system and a newer younger audience being the majority of film patrons. Of course there was the fluke that was the Todd AO Airport.
Faster film stocks, more portable equipment and on location shooting, and a more documentary-like aesthetic.

greenscreened

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
I'm always happy when an older music or movie/television item gets released, either in better quality, or better yet, even gets released at all, even if I don't like the particular item in question.

That being said, I saw ACO when it was first released, and honestly, that is one movie I wish I could un-see.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Yes. One can know by looking at it. Not so much the stock, which would have been 5254, same as Godfather, but optics, filters, et al. It’s not a sharp film, overall.
Indeed it's not a sharp film overall, nor is The Shining or Dr. Strangelove. I sometimes think that it is frustrating to get these while waiting for movies that would really look good in UHD but if sales are right one cannot argue with that.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
When a film is as gruesome as A Clockwork Orange my sensibilities are such that I can make it through about 20 minutes before I have to leave. Other such films have been Ulzana's Raid and Athena.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks