What's new

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Funny thing is that I don't think people who were teens in 1939 viewed "GWTW" as a "modern movie" the same way those of us who were kids in 1980 still think of "ESB" as "modern".

I can't really explain this!

Part of it may be that the technical vernacular and production code limitations in force for GWTW had fallen out of use four decades later, making it seem an artifact from another time. Films were no longer “one size fits all” for content and were no longer 1.37:1 in 1980.

By contrast, Empire is a special effects driven franchise extravaganza, in widescreen, in a style of filmmaking that’s very much still in play. Animations are used instead of models these days, and composites are done digitally instead of optically, but when you get down to it, it’s an early example of what is the dominant filmmaking style today.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The other difference is that now nothing ever really goes away. Until about the early-80s, the only way to see a film was in the theatre or happen upon it when it was broadcast on television. Most movies faded from consciousness. Now, with home video, streaming and dozens of movie channels, as well as constant sequels and remakes, that's no longer the case.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I think aspects of the movie fare poorly due to non-PC content - can't argue that.

On the other hand, the way Jack casually throws out racist comments was realistic - that's how a character like that would've talked.

Jack does apologize - and notably, Reggie doesn't really let him off the hook. He doesn't offer some "it's all good" comment after Jack's mea culpa.

Parts of the movie work very well still, IMO, but it's also very much of its time in other ways...
If 48 Hrs. were a serious film, I wouldn't have been so bothered by Nolte's "realistic language," but it's an action comedy, so I find his constant use of that word resembling the abbreviation for "Noise Reduction" really, really jarring.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If 48 Hrs. were a serious film, I wouldn't have been so bothered by Nolte's "realistic language," but it's an action comedy, so I find his constant use of that word resembling the abbreviation for "Noise Reduction" really, really jarring.
It wasn't jarring when I first watched this movie nor is it jarring when I watch it now.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
It wasn't jarring when I first watched this movie nor is it jarring when I watch it now.
I know what you mean. For me, speaking for the LGBTQ community, I have to laugh when people today watch movies from the 80s and are shocked at the use of a word starting with F and ending in T. Back then they didn't even notice its use and now they are sensitive to it!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I know what you mean. For me, speaking for the LGBTQ community, I have to laugh when people today watch movies from the 80s and are shocked at the use of a word starting with F and ending in T. Back then they didn't even notice its use and now they are sensitive to it!
Back then many did noticed it and laughed at its usage.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

"Constant"? If the IMDB "Parents Guide" is right, the word appears 6 times in the movie, and Jack isn't the one who says it all 6 times.

Sure, there's plenty of other racial nastiness from Jack in addition to the "N word". I think it fits the character and the film. Jack's rough around the edges, but the movie makes his comments more intended to needle than to really show racism.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I was in high school when 48 Hours came out, and of course, everyone loved it. Eddie Murphy was probably the best-loved movie star of my high school years. But I remember a girl in one of my classes talking to a teacher about 48 Hours, which they'd both seen, and saying how much she enjoyed it, "but," she said, covering her ears, "the profanity! Oh my god!"

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I watched 48 hours last night. Such a nice improvement over that old, ragged disc. I do think there was a small bit of grain reduction applied, but nothing really too bothersome. I guess sales will determine whether or not this reaches UHD BD?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
For me it's all about context and period accuracy. Regardless of when I watch the film the dialogue should match the period in which the film was released. Anything less is disingenuous.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
For me it's all about context and period accuracy. Regardless of when I watch the film the dialogue should match the period in which the film was released. Anything less is disingenuous.
Agreed. However, for me the 70's and early 80's, more than any other decades, contain movies I once enjoyed that I can no longer watch. They may be accurate to the times, but I guess I lack interest in the accuracy they contain. This is a skip for me.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Agreed. However, for me the 70's and early 80's, more than any other decades, contain movies I once enjoyed that I can no longer watch. They may be accurate to the times, but I guess I lack interest in the accuracy they contain. This is a skip for me.
Completely understand. I have the exact same reaction to certain period films. Mississippi Burning comes to mind.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I watched the Beverley Hills Cop DVD yesterday morning, what a hoot and very good picture quality for a DVD. This morning I watched the PP 48 Hrs Blu-ray, another hoot and it has similar qualities to yesterday's DVD, with low contrast shots, softness plus minimal grain due to DNR. There are some bright scenes that excel. I will check the Blu-ray against my twofer DVD ASAP and report back. Both were fun movies and Eddie Murphy is such a talent.

Last edited:

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
I watched the Beverley Hills Cop DVD yesterday morning, what a hoot and very good picture quality for a DVD. This morning I watched the PP 48 Hrs Blu-ray, another hoot and it has similar qualities to yesterday's DVD, with low contrast shots, softness plus minimal grain due to DNR. There are some bright scenes that excel. I will check the Blu-ray against my twofer DVD ASAP and report back. Both were fun movie and Eddie Murphy is such a talent.
It is surprising how some DVDs look even on a 4k TV.

I have watched a few DVDs on a 4k TV and enjoyed the movies just the same as blu ray or UHD.

BHC is a fun romp. What does it for me is the 80s soundtrack. Helps make the movie more entertaining. It was a trick that really took hold in the 80s with movies like Top Gun utilizing the soundtrack to great effect.

I think Martin Brest is a talented director.

Midnight Run is another gem from him and the soundtrack to that is also good but in a totally different way and quite original, actually.

I found BHC 2 very poor and a cash in on the original. Just the same story with no originality whatsoever. Watched both fairly recently and was surprised at the difference in quality of both movies.

The sequel was directed by the Top Gun man Tony Scott too funny enough.

The new 48 hrs blu ray is decent quality. I found it satisfactory but did not see it in cinemas.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
It is surprising how some DVDs look even on a 4k TV.

I have watched a few DVDs on a 4k TV and enjoyed the movies just the same as blu ray or UHD.

BHC is a fun romp. What does it for me is the 80s soundtrack. Helps make the movie more entertaining. It was a trick that really took hold in the 80s with movies like Top Gun utilizing the soundtrack to great effect.

I think Martin Brest is a talented director.

Midnight Run is another gem from him and the soundtrack to that is also good but in a totally different way and quite original, actually.

I found BHC 2 very poor and a cash in on the original. Just the same story with no originality whatsoever. Watched both fairly recently and was surprised at the difference in quality of both movies.

The sequel was directed by the Top Gun man Tony Scott too funny enough.

The new 48 hrs blu ray is decent quality. I found it satisfactory but did not see it in cinemas.

Many DVDs (especially Criterion) look great on my 4K OLED. When new 4Ks or Blu-rays are announced I pull out the DVD (or rent from Netflix, they have most Criterions!) to determine if the film is worthy of (or DVD needs) upgrade to Blu-ray. I'm running out of storage space so that factors in too.

Yes, Another 48 Hrs & BHC II were disappointments. The PP Fatal Attraction Blu-ray picture quality was disappointing too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks