What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ 3:10 to Yuma (2007) -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It's always interesting to be able to contrast and compare two films, especially a re-make.

Delmer Daves' 1957 original, starring Van Heflin and Glenn Ford is a quality, beautifully photographed, black & white western. The wonderful Charles Lawton, Jr. was behind the camera. If you don't recall his name, you'll know his work: Two Rode Together, A Raisin in the Sun, The Last Hurrah, The Long Gray Line, et al.

Mr. Daves verzon is available from Criterion, and quality is superb. It's actually an interesting comparison to High Noon.

James Mangold's 2007 re-make, and it's a true re-make as opposed to a total "re-imagining," is a terrifically entertaining film, and was released by Lionsgate at that time on Blu-ray.

For the new 4k release, it's re-worked a bit, for HDR, and the results are stunning, yielding a slightly different take toward Phedon Papmichael's cinematography. Audio is upgraded to DTS:X, which also add another layer of immersion.

In typical Lionsgate fashion, 3:10 to Yuma is absolutely worth a re-visit.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (DTS:X)

Upgrade - Yes

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm not a fan of this film. I love the original, but felt this remake didn't measure up to the original. The changes in the story line didn't work for me. I doubt I'll buy this 4K/UHD release.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm not a fan of this film. I love the original, but felt this remake didn't measure up to the original. The changes in the story line didn't work for me. I doubt I'll buy this 4K/UHD release.
I feel exactly the same. The original is a classic. The remake made changes that didn't sit well with me though I do like the cast.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
The major use of DNR was to reduce grain for DVD compression.
Yes, but what do you make of the massive loss of grain of the UHD compared to the BD landscape/sky still? If accurate this is rather severe degraining. I have cancelled my order till the dust settles.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
This is my first 4K purchase. (I do not have a 4K projector). I have the 2007 blu-ray (love the film). Do you think I will appreciate the new scan from the 1080p blu-ray that is included? Anyone look at that issue in particular?

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
This is my first 4K purchase. (I do not have a 4K projector). I have the 2007 blu-ray (love the film). Do you think I will appreciate the new scan from the 1080p blu-ray that is included? Anyone look at that issue in particular?

I think it is the same Blu-ray from what I read. They just created a 4K version.

DalekFlay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dane M.
The major use of DNR was to reduce grain for DVD compression.

Not sure what this means really. The UHD has much less grain and detail than the BD, according to pretty much every post by an owner of the disc. I don't think most professionals really compare to the BD to notice such things, no offense intended.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not sure what this means really. The UHD has much less grain and detail than the BD, according to pretty much every post by an owner of the disc. I don't think most professionals really compare to the BD to notice such things, no offense intended.
I find that hard to believe about the detail, but I did ordered this 4K disc due to retailer sale so I can reevaluate this film for my previous stated reasoning.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I watched about half of it, and sold it. 'Terrific' is not one of the descriptions I'd use.

Thank god I hadn't sold my Aussie BD.
I'm happy for you.

I happily agree with RAH who I think knows what he's talking about.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
That the UHD has been grain reduced is a fact. If you like it or not is an opinion. I don't buy UHD to see less spatial detail. I'll stick to the Italian BD with AVC, no colour fringing like the US BD and no grain processing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks