What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ 2001: a space odyssey -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
It’s funny how you can see something a hundred times and still catch something new.

This may be the first time I was able to see the unplayed chess moves HAL described to Frank Poole. “I'm sorry, Frank, I think you missed it. Queen to Bishop 3, Bishop takes Queen, Knight takes Bishop. Mate.” I could totally see it.

Also, I noticed that with every major technological advancement seems to come an equivalent advancement in whipping up convenient lunches. By this reckoning, The Star Child ought to fix a wicked pepper steak.

ArnoldLayne

Premium
Real Name
Chris
RAH, I had some tears in my eyes when watching the 4K/UHD disc on Saturday. I was more impressed by the picture quality on my OLED than the IMAX showing I had a few months ago.
After finally seeing the 'shipped' notice from Amazon this morning, I anticipated the same response. And I don't mind if I do... the incredible visuals, the majestic music, the flow, the sheer joy, yeah it's on the way...
https://www.google.com/search?q=anticipation+song+lyrics

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
So maybe the Nolan controversy was good for promotion of this release?

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I had watched 2001 on iTunes a few weeks ago and just now looked at the first 20 minutes. It is a different transfer , the image and sound are vastly better than what I watched earlier this month. It still says HD......but I'm wondering if it is indeed the 4K transfer.

mcblue

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Mr. Harris, is the Blu-ray (not the 4K) of the new master an improvement over the old Blu-ray?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think the answer could be both. Josh can maybe answer better, but by my memory from a couple weeks ago, it was a hard cut.
Even it not 100% correct, I'm going to chalk this one into the not significant. I actually like the hard cut better given the general topic of that scene

I think pretty easy to believe the 70mm had a different transition

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Mr. Harris, is the Blu-ray (not the 4K) of the new master an improvement over the old Blu-ray?

The new Blu-ray included in the set is sourced from the same 4k restoration. It's better than before, but the real treat is the 4k disc.

Reactions: PMF

Britton

Screenwriter
You can hear the sound of the glass being set on the table in both the fade and the cut, but you can only see it happen in the cut, so I’m going with cut being correct?

Could it also be a difference between the 35mm and 70mm versions where both are correct? Kind of like how there are clear versions between mono and stereo versions of The Beatles' albums?

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
a real shame we cant get any new features ,Yes they seem to have gotten the movie right,but this special film is in need of a real
SE!!

Britton

Screenwriter
You can hear the sound of the glass being set on the table in both the fade and the cut, but you can only see it happen in the cut, so I’m going with cut being correct?

I'm staring to lean the other way. Seems to make more sense that there would be a fade out followed by a fade in...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks