What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... Titanic (1 Viewer)

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I just received mine today (along with Bridge too Far and Battle of Britain 2-discs, and Exorcist Dominion). I'll have to take a look through it later and give my thoughts.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Patrick,
I am speechless, your summary far surpasses any that I have ever read concerning what is at the core of this film...it's about love, yes indeed. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ya know, everytime I see someone post something about the features on the R2 4th disc and then makes it a point to actually say "that R1 isn't getting", I keep expecting that kid from The Simpsons to pop up out of nowhere, point his finger at me and go "HA HA!".

Now for my opinion on the film...it's perfect in every way, it has no flaws, the Celine Dion song is wonderful, it deserves it's BO success...it has no flaws. :D

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Btw, I don't believe any of the Titanic fans in this or any other Titanic thread have proclaimed it to be "the best movie ever made".

Not even John W!;)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I don't believe that I've ever heard of Titanic spoken of as "the best film every made" either.

And it isn't.

What it is, is an extremely well written, produced, directed and acted project which seems to hit a certain chord within many viewers, making it an extremely fine film within popular cinema.

TonyDale

Second Unit
While I think that Cameron's TITANIC is one of the most affecting films ever made, and one whose budget actually shows up on the screen, as well as one of the most beautifully costumed, scored and filmed romantic epics ever made, I also feel that it is one of the worst-written screenplays dialogue-wise to have ever been green-lit.
Also, I like "My Heart Will Go On" in terms of the film. (It always begs the question, "what else could one's heart do, unless one were dead?") Reminiscent also of B'way's musical version of The Hilton Twins (FREAKS) whose final moments contain the song "I Will Never Leave You." DUH!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

I thought it was a given, that's why I never said it. :D

Seriously though, I do believe that Titanic is ONE of the greatest films ever made, but we all know that the topic of "greatest film" is all subjective.

Afterall, i'm sure that somewhere out there some pimple faced teenager believes that The Fog remake is "like, the greatest movie ever, man!" ;)

People, of course, always call films that are special TO THEM the greatest, like for me this would be my greatest list...

E.T.

Titanic

Before Sunrise

Before Sunset

Field of Dreams

...and others would think that my list is pure crap.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I never saw this film in theaters, and even when the DVD first came out I didn't watch it for a long time. Because I bought into the oft-heard criticism of the "love story" ruining it (like Pearl Harbor) and of its huge popularity with (pre-?)teenage girls...didn't sound like my thing. But when I finally watched it I had no complaints at all, and did not find the "story within a story" distracting nor poorly done. And I found the young actors to be much better than I had expected.

I have no problem seeing how this movie is or will become a classic, nor how it got its massive gross. I expect this new disc should do rather well too...the original sold so well that it was probably a smart marketing idea to wait this long for a proper SE (not to mention just before the hi-def disc era, do it again in another 5 years or so).

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul

Needless to say, anyone who's been following the Titanic SE anticipation thread will know I virulently disagree with any notion that there's something wise about Par's/JC's having procrastinated for seven years to do this movie a better modicum of justice on DVD.

I submit that Par could have released a proper multi-disc SE circa 2001, left the original shamefully non-anamorphic, supplement-free disc in print and done robust business on both given the boffo DVD player sales at that time: those who want just the pic/to spend less coin could get the original and those of us who feel this film deserves so much more could have bought the SE.

And my understanding is that it wasn't a proactive marketing choice on Par's part anyway: JC was off on the Keldysh doing more deep sea diving and making IMAX docus and not interested in/available for SE production supervision.

[And don't even get me started (again) on the infuriating insult of Par's doing a press conference last April to announce the standard def SE--three months after the studio's HD DVD slate announcement--and refusing to address the issue of a hi def release of this film.

Heaven help us if Par waits 5 years to release this film on Blu-ray.]

-p

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis

Bad boy.

Go to your room.

The Lean "trilogy" (Kwai/Lawrence/Zhivago) is arguable the greatest run of cinematic excellence in the history of film. Lawrence is arguably the single greatest epic film ever made by anyone. Make sure you get the "superbits" version.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I am considering buying the titanic dvd.. I am not a huge fan of the movie, but I am a fan of james cameron.. I like his movie the abyss much better..

I have not seen titanic since its release.

I am interested in the commentary track that he does for titanic.. I thought he did a wonderful job on T2.

JACOB

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson

Well-produced, yes...well-directed, perhaps...well-acted, in spots...but well-written? And >extremely< well at that? Perhaps if you don't count about 90% of the dialogue.

Maybe I'll rent this new super-deluxe edition and see if I like it any better this time.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...712190303/1023

"...James Cameron's 194-minute, $200 million film of the tragic voyage is in the tradition of the great Hollywood epics. It is flawlessly crafted, intelligently constructed, strongly acted and spellbinding. If its story stays well within the traditional formulas for such pictures, well, you don't choose the most expensive film ever made as your opportunity to reinvent the wheel...

...Movies like this are not merely difficult to make at all, but almost impossible to make well. The technical difficulties are so daunting that it's a wonder when the filmmakers are also able to bring the drama and history into proportion. I found myself convinced by both the story and the saga. The setup of the love story is fairly routine, but the payoff--how everyone behaves as the ship is sinking--is wonderfully written, as passengers are forced to make impossible choices."

4 stars. Ebert summed it up pretty well IMHO.

:) d

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks