What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... The Sound of Music (1 Viewer)

mark brown

Supporting Actor
I did not purchase SOM based on this thread, but unfortunately purchased the State Fair and Oklahoma anniversary editions.
The State Fair (1945) looks much the same as the previous dvd although I am not sure it looks as clear.
As for Oklahoma dvd (Todd A-O version), I have not seen such a shoddy transfer in ages. I revisited my laserdisc, which was made from the restored Todd-AO elements about ten years ago, and find it looks much brighter and clearer than this new dvd. What went wrong with this washed out look. Surely the negatives or transfer elements have not degraded that much since the laser version? I am fascianted that Fox would not give this timeless classic the eye-popping transfer it deserves.
As for SOM, I will wait for the HD version.
mdb

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

I wouldn't know. I made all that *#@# up. Heck I don't even know how to define "fake stereo."

As Flip Wilson would say, the devil made me do it. ;)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

They could put the standard short version on the same disc using seamless branching.

And there is a documentary, "The Making of Oklahoma! and South Pacific" that was made in 1985, which Ray Walston hosted and discusses the making of both the R&H-produced films. Last seen on The Disney Channel in 1991. I don't know if I still have it.

I just hope it won't be a train wreck of a transfer like the Oklahoma! DVD is. Considering the lengths to which Fox and Goldwyn are (supposedly) going to restore and reconstruct this film.

These fake stereo tracks have been around since the 80s on Fox VHS and LDs, like some of the Mel Brooks films which were mono originally. To my mind, if it wasn't recorded in stereo, leave it in mono.

TedD

Supporting Actor
Not yet. "The King and I" was transferred to video along with Carousel from the original 55mm negatives earlier this year.

http://www.theasc.com/magazine/june0...cus/page1.html

I hope they will look more like "State Fair" '62 than the Todd-AO "Oklahoma!". These are 4K scans. Hopefully if the DVD Mastering isn't fouled up, they should both look very good.

Ted

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
The movie studios would save themselves a lot of headaches and hassles were they to engage the services of Mrs. Robert Harris and Joe Capporicio to do the job right (meaning restoration, coloration, etc., as well as soundtrack work for all of these film classics) the first time around...if glaring ineptness from their part is indeed the problem...which me thinks it isn't.

I am actually of the mind that believe we consumers are truly getting hosed by the studios when they toss meager bits (no pun!) at us every so often in an shameful attempt to deplete the contents of our wallets again and again...over and over...(not that we don't fall for the lure like fish out of our own cognition...but damn, Hollywood! 'enough is 'enough!)...:angry:

-THTS

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Paramount just announced the THIRD dvd release of Ten Commandments.

Theyu should make it a law that the following films can never be released again
Alien Movies
Sound of Music
Gone With the wind
Wizard of Oz
James Bond Films.

Films I would kill to see reissued properly.
My Fair Lady with good sound and without that awful lp like reverb added for all the musical numbers

Camelot 0 with the correct original mix - not that inept remix offered on the current dVD.

Affair to remember = with the good sound from the laserdisc version - not this terrible 2.0 mix we have had on BOTH dvd releases.

Love is a Many Splendored Thing - using a good sound source = which fox DOES have and has not used.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
My wife is busy enough, without taking on film restoration projects, but I'm certain the thought is appreciated.

As far as re-issues of oft-released films, like many others, there is no necessity for yet another example until high definition arrives.

And finally, Re: the MFL tracks, another search might be made before the high def transfer, which might bring to light the original four tracks, some of which were missing in 1994.

RAH

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
robert, thats funny.

sometimes its hard to tell if people post things on purpose or not.
how would i know if your wife is also a motion picture archivist, restorerer.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
But twelve different DVD editions of the American Pie films is OK? ;)

In all fairness the studios aren't forcing anyone to buy these DVDs and in some cases, new editions offer an enhanced picture and extras that were not available at the time the previous releases were made. Lost and forgotten negatives and prints will continue to pop up from time to time; digital restoration techniques, film transfer technology, compression standards; and new media formats have, and will continually improve over the years and thus give the opportunity for improved releases.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
It's not okay with me....LOL. Enough with American Pie, Universal! You've got plenty of catalog titles that have yet to see the light of day on DVD yet.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
No doubt UNIVER$AL will release FAST AND THE FURIOUS/2 FAST 2 FURIOUS again this June with the new sequel coming out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks