What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... The Sea Hawk (1940) (1 Viewer)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Robert C rawford - No, no no.
I was raised watching the Sea Hawk and it was NEVER the short version.
The first time I even knew there was a short version is when it landed on teh Fisrt Fox Laserdisc.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Maybe, you didn't see the short version on television, but I have without the Queen Elizabeth war morale speech. I didn't see the full version until home video many years later.

Crawdaddy

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
There are three cuts of Sea Hawk -
1. 127 min - the one i was raised on -
2. the cut version once on Fox discs (never asaw or heard of this till Fox released it)
3. 127 min version with extra Queen Elizabeth speech - made for British markets. Ass this is the case, this would not have been shown as part of the long prints of Sea Hawk available on tv for years.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For many years, I watched a shorten version of this film on television that was less than 2 hours long. I didn't see the 127 minutes version of it until it came out on video about 15 years ago. I believe the extended 127 minute version wasn't restored until Ted Turner became owner of it. Matter of fact, I think he even colorized it which was terrible in itself.

Crawdaddy

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I just received my Flynn Signature Collection yesterday and had the pleasure of viewing The Sea Hawk for the very first time last night. What a fantastic film! I loved every minute of it. The sets, the cinematography, and the pacing were all first-rate and it looks fantastic - the transfer is beautiful. The performances on the whole were outstanding, particularly Flora Robson as Queen Elizabeth. She stole every scene she was in. Then of course there's Flynn himself. Awesome.

Thanks to you Mr. Harris (and Herb Kane) for sharing your thoughts on this film and Dodge City. Your enthusiasm encouraged me to buy the box set and I'm really looking forward to watching the rest of the Collection.

ChrisPearson

Second Unit
I received my Flynn set yesterday and am looking forward immensely to watching it...

but! I'm a bit annoyed that there's no "play all" facility on the Warner Night at the Movies feature. This was available on the Warner Legends and Gangsters WNATMs, so I wonder why it isn't included here. To my mind it defeats the purpose of the WNATM feature if you can't watch the entire programme sequentially.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike

That annoyed me as well and I'm surprised no reviewer has yet mentioned this oversight. The only other Night at the Movies disc I own is The Adventures of Robin Hood so I wasn't sure if the play all feature had been subsequently dropped (for no good reason of course). Being dropped back to the extras menu every few minutes to select the next featurette is pretty distracting.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

I agree on this one as well. I wanted to watch these films this way but going back to the menu every minute or 2 makes it almost too annoying to bother with.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray

Warners' really dropped the ball with this feature. What's the point of putting together a "Night at the Movies" if you can't play it all as a piece?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks