What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... The Perfect Storm -- in High Definition (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Like the other recent High Definition releases, The Perfect Storm from Warner is a solid release.

An image with superior color depth, wonderful blacks and resolution six times that of Standard Definition, yields a DVD worthy of the technology.

As a film, that fellow from ER is quite good in it.

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Mr. Harris, some people are complaining that the new disc looked "soft" or softer than they are used to with the new Hd-dvds. Do you feel that the new disc accurately represented the cinematography or that it was possibly the old HD master from 2000 that wasn't a 1080P24 one?

Thanks! D

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I don't believe that one will see any real difference in resolution between a "p" or an "i" master.

A few of the "i" masters did sneak into the initial release pattern, quite by accident, and Warner is aware of this and has taken action.

Remember, this film is not film, but rather a scan of film elements to 2k, which were then further manipulated.

It looked fine on my system. I did note one tiny glitch around the 100+ minutes mark, which seemed like a layer change. Momentary loss of sync, which could have been poor looping. I was then unable to duplicate.

As an earlier transfer, I examined the image from 4-5 feet away on a 100+ inch screen, and it still looked like cinema and not video.

I'm pleased. But I will warn knitpickers, that I still consider this a video product from a highly compressed source. I'm therefore a bit forgiving, although in this case, saw nothing to forgive.

RAH

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator
Cool. I always liked this film. The special effects were groundbreaking and still look good to me.

And... we can gaze at the gorgeous DIANE LANE in high def!

M

Member 323668

Yes, I am sure it is!

I watched both "Blazing Saddles" and "The Perfect Storm" this week.

The "Blazing Saddles" transfer was done right. It looks absolutely stunning! I never believed an "older film" could look as gorgeous as "Blazing Saddles" does. Congratulations and many thanks to the folks at Warner.

Compared to BS, TPS really is a lemon transfer-wise. (see my comments to Herb Kanes's review)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks