What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... the image and audio restoration of "Vertigo" and DVD (1 Viewer)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob

But Moe, when restoring the soundtrack of one of the greatest films of all time by a legendary director, one would hope that every attempt would have been made to preserve and honor the directors intent - both visually and aurally. If Mr. Hitchcock's original approved mono track had the music mixed at a level equal to (or below) the ambient crowd noise in this important scene, he must have made that artistic choice for a specific reason.

Alfred Hitchcock's decision should not have been changed.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I agree, Bob, but in reading RAH's comments previously, you learn that while this is what he and the restoration team was after, the studio (which owns the film and paid for restoration) wanted wall to wall modern effects and foley.

So a middle ground was reached, and apparantly the current DVD is even closer to the original intent. Life is about compromise. I was more curious about this particular instance, and the last thing I wanted to do was hurl blame or start any sort of 10 year old arguments again :)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
One of the problems with the mono track as it exists on the most recent DVD is that there is so much dynamic compression on it that these differences in level are pretty well obscured, giving you the choice of the 5.1 track with superior musical fidelity but strange liberties taken with new foley, or a mono track where compression has blended the background hiss, music, effects, and dialog into a smeared mess. One hopes that a better source for the original mix turns up some day, but the fact that one has not shown up in the last 12 years is apparently not due to a lack of looking for it. If nothing else, the mono track is probably representative of optical release prints, which gives it the edge in verisimilitude, but it's still pretty disappointing.

Regards,

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
RAH,

If Universal (or Criterion which I've suggested in another thread) were to go back and do a proper special edition of Vertigo, would there be a reason to do a revised 5.1 track based off your original intent for the project?

Also is it too late for Ultra Resolution?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I understand Ken. There are several well known film collectors/archivists with pristine 35mm optical mono tracks on this film. They could be located with a minimal amount of effort.

In fact, I heard one of those tracks in a show several years ago at the Museum of the Moving Image in New York, and the sound was terrific!

GregK

Screenwriter
That an excellent point, Bob.

Let's hope someday Universal gives Vertigo's original mono mix the respect it deserves.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Great question Larry. :)....somewhere it was mentioned that along with Psycho, Universal would be releasing Vertigo this year on HD DVD. There were a few others mentioned too....I've got to go find that link!
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Psycho was announced, but nothing else. However, Psycho and The Birds are both getting Legacy Series 2-disc editions at the end of the year (though, they'll most likely be identical to the Masterpiece Collection versions except with the feature-length documentaries included instead of on the MC 15th bonus disc).

Thane101

Agent
Real Name
Ethan
I first saw the movie in it's restored form and wouldn't have it any other way. I tried to go back and listen to the original mono track, but it just couldn't compare to the image. I was finally able to see it in 70mm here in Los Angeles, and I couldn't help but notice how beautiful it sounded, clearly the old track would have been laughable if projected with the restoration.

Also, what would be the point of releasing a Vertigo Legacy if they did not add something that we didn't already have? The only thing I can see them releasing is the anamorphic version in the Masterpiece set. (It would be really nice to get some new bonus features that focus on the making of the film. I enjoyed AMC's documentary, but it would have been better if Universal put together new features like they did for his other films).

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Exactly. Technically, they could make it a 2-disc SE if they put "Shadow of a Genius" on the second disc (excellent feature-length documentary on all of his career). They could also clean up the mono track, re-do the 5.1 remix, and include a music-only track.

(By the way, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a Rod Taylor/Tippi Hedren commentary on The Birds)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I am so thrilled that I got to view The Birds with Tippi Hedren in attendance here at the Hollywood Bar and Filmworks. She signed a photo, had her picture taken with me, and answered questions after the screening. I got to ask a question. I asked if Hitchcock gave the actors free reign with their roles. She said she couldn't speak for anyone else, but having Hitch direct her was like taking an acting master class. She said they had a period of rehearsal in which she developed her character and when filming was ready they had every shot down. I went up to her after the screening and thanked her for coming and told her that I am an actor. She said the best advice she could give is to watch all of Hitch's films and study every shot. She's a fun, classy, wonderful lady...and very tiny in person.

Thane101

Agent
Real Name
Ethan
The Hollywood Bar & Filmworks has unfortunately closed now, but that's interesting that you were able see Hedren. People don't get a lot of chances to meet Hitchcock's collaborators. Kim Novak made an appearance at Hollywood’s Egyptian Theater in 2004 during a Vertigo screening, but I doubt she will do anything like that in the near future.

Isn't "Shadow of a Genius" a more generic Hitchcock documentary? While it would be interesting to see this on a new DVD I am hoping for a documentary more Vertigo specific.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I was sorry to see the theatre go. A few weeks after Hedren appeared, Linda Blair was there to present The Exorcist, but I couldn't make it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks