What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... The Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mr. Anthony:

I don't believe that a digital conversion would solve the "Vertigo" problems. We have come up with newer (and better) solutions with the aid of digital technology and a few odd ideas that have worked in the field.

This isn't to say that the image couldn't be "improved" using the same master, but it would seem that the concept of improving vs. making it near perfect would lead one to re-work the elements via digital technology.

Lowry Digital Images, now a part of DTS, and newly christened DTS Digital Images, has the capability of making "Vertigo" look much as it did in 1958.

And yes, the tracks could easily be re-mixed to bring the new 6 track 70mm version more into line with Mr. Hitchcock's original designs.

RAH

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
God bless Robert Harns. ;)

Lowry is now called DTS Digital Images? It might just be a name but it sound's a bit too corporate for my tastes, I preferred Lowry Digital Images personally.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I can't help but think that the value is to good a price. 4 movies have been confirmed as looking betting (not perfect). for the price of those 4 on the street, you can get 14 movies. It's a real no brainer to me.

As far as Mr. Harris' opinions, I can honestly say he hasn't steered me wrong yet, after having blind bought many based on his and others opinions. The insite he brings to the forum is priceless.

Can't wait to get this set. I picked up Warners setin anticipationof this, and kicked myself for not buying Criterions now OOP set when it was available. Unfortunately I have teh Masterpiece set on pre-order with the Val Lewton set, which appears to have been bumped to Oct 18, so I wont get this until the end of the month.:frowning:

Maggi Magg

Stunt Coordinator
I only have two of the 14 in the box so this is a sure thing.
My wife said she would buy this for my birthday.:D

Cheers
Maggi

norman j

Agent
I have all the Hitchcocks already and was really disappointed I would be missing out on the AFI tribute since I have a bad copy on tape- turns I'm not missing out on it after all-glad I didn't decide to buy it for that reason.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
I've been reading through all the various topics on this set & have checked out the review at DVD Beaver and I must say that this looks like a damn fine set to me.

Universal really seem to have pulled there socks up this year & have been releasing some excellent discs IMO.

DouglasBr

Stunt Coordinator
It is interesting that, after months of well-deserved criticism of Universal's DVD products, they've actually seen to fixing some of the most egregious problems, ie:

original mono soundtrack on Jaws
anamorphic OAR of The Sting
anamorphic presentations of Vertigo & Psycho
mono (if not original) soundtrack for Vertigo

and very likely others (I'm just going off the top of my head). Even if they don't do it completely right (truncated AFI tribute, lame "extras" on Marx Bros. Silver Screen, etc), they ARE improving.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

Slightly OT, but I thought I heard rumblings that there were framing problems with the widescreen version of The Sting, ala Back to the Future. Is this true?

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
For starters, in my opinion Universal is the best studio out there next to Warner. Warner is so head and shoulders above everyone else that other studios seem to take a beating even when they don't deserve it (sometimes). Fox, Columbia and MGM are sitting on tons of their films yet Warner and Universal are releasing them.

I only owned three of the previous Hitchcock discs so I hope someone who owned the rest can answer this question.

What was wrong with the older discs? From my limited memory, the only issues were the fact that PSYCHO and VERTIGO weren't anamorphic.

It seems to me this box set is not for those who bought all of these before. This set, with the low price, is aimed for those who didn't buy the older discs and with that in mind this is a dream come true. I think the original discs retailed for $29.95 and $34.95 and most are preordering this set for under $80.

If you're just wanting PSYCHO and VERTIGO 16x9 then I'd suggest waiting a while. They'll eventually be released on their own. There is a reason why PSYCHO 4 wasn't released this year along with the other two sequels. :)

If 12 of the 14 single releases were good enough then I don't see the point of trashing this set, which isn't aimed at those who own the previous titles. The two new 16x9 transfers is certainly aimed at getting some upgrades but again, with the price and selling your own discs, this set still looks like the wonderful deal it is.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mr. Elliott...

13 of the 14 discs in this set are as good as or better than their previous incarnations.

And you're quite correct in that the set is a wonderful deal.

RAH

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

Thank you Mr. Harris.

Since the previous releases all got great reviews from fans when released and if these are at least somewhat better, I really don't see anything wrong here.

I understand people wanting more but when I look at what we're getting and the price....

Another :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: for Universal in my book.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
I've been looking forward to the set for some time. I've enjoyed the Signature Collection, and can't wait to have them side by side. I'll still hold onto my singles so that I can share "the love" of Hitchcock without breaking my new set. Furthermore, I have the first press remastered Vertigo with the terrific movie poster cover (I had the same video tape before DVD too, I wish I had held onto it, I can't get enough of the poster).

Doug

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I understand the context in which you are saying this, but it seems like for at least some of those 13 it would be more accurate to say that they are as good or better in some ways and inferior in others. It sounds like Vertigo looks better, but has a messed up title sequence. To get the better picture in Psycho, you've got to put up with now out of sync sound in places.

Those of us who already own these discs have to all make our own decisions about these, but I'm very torn. A partially colorized title sequence and some out of sync video might sound like minor considerations to some, but they are causing me at least to seriously consider passing on them for the dvds I already own.

Damned tough to decide. :frowning:

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Again, it would be nice to know if the Docs from the original releases are included in this set. :)

It's a major factor in my purchasing decision.

Pretty please, with sugar on top? ;)

Anyone?

[CRICKETS CHIRPING]

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I'm guessing that the audio has not been corrected for the Psycho dvd.....the scene I mentioned was not correctly balanced.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Jim, according to a thread on a different board it appears all the featurettes have been carried over.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks