What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... The Harold Lloyd Comedy Collection (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I may be in the minority, but I'm against special deals which limit the public's access to special features or additional discs, based upon purchase from a specific venue.

These "sweetheart" deals, which are usually backed by an especially large order for product, skew the marketplace and are unfair to the buying public.

The end result will be a few dozen eBayers purchasing this "very special" and "rare" product from BB, and placing them directly on line at ridiculous numbers.

Stupid. Just stupid.

RAH

ScottLloyd

Stunt Coordinator
You may want to read what I wrote about others "solution" to that. It's in the other Harold Lloyd thread. I have not tried it so YMMV.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Annette Lloyd has said over at alt.movies.silent that they're still working on the restoration of WELCOME DANGER, which is why that wasn't in the set. Hopefully it will come out later.

It's not clear to me why speed correction would cause combing, and if it does, why doesn't it affect the other silents?

So the uncredited organ scores were Gaylord Carter? No wonder I liked them so much. Carter was a wonderful musician and it was a huge joy to see and hear him play for silents. I first saw Safety Last! with his accompaniment in the 1980s on the mighty Grand Barton Organ here in Madison; also later performances of Wings, Metropolis, Nosferatu, Phantom, The General, and a few more. He was a master of the art. No offense to Robert Israel's score for GIRL SHY, but Carter's score is a gem.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I was wrong. Jeffrey has described it accurately. The recently restored version is reflective of the released silent version, and does not contain any of the scrapped footage. I mis-read and/or mis-remembered an article from a New York paper about the release. Sorry.

Regards,

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Mark, you are spot on. I feel very privileged being able to listen to Gaylord Carter perform live at the Paramount in Oakland many times for Buster Keaton films like 'The General'. To find out that he is on these Harold Lloyd movies just makes this an extra special event. I cannot wait to get my hands on this set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks