1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about... The Day After Tomorrow

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Robert Harris, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    I've never been one of those to seek thrills on amusement park rides.

Like many others, I find the cinematic experience to be more satisfying than an upside down death-defying spin on a roller coaster.

I believe the first film release to be equated with "thrill rides" was The Exorcist back in 1973.

Since then, the term has been used constantly to attempt to delineate a film which can be used as a good (or better) substitute.

This years special effects "thrill ride" was Fox's The Day After Tomorrow, which has been delivered in state of the art visual and aural style on DVD. The quality is in line with what we've expected from Fox in recent high end releases.

Although a bit different in encoding texturally from their Master and Commander, which I've found the best so far of 2004, this is a cinematic ride which will fully satisfy the big screen DVD junkie.

There is one scene in this film which had me thinking "Hichcockian Suspense." As a wall of water heads through Manhattan, and Jake Gyllenhaal waits for Emmy Rossum to help a couple out of a taxi, one of the women tells her that she's left her purse with passports in the car.

We see the wall of water.

Gyllenhaal's character sees the wall of water.

Rossum does not and heads back to the taxi.

Its one of those moments where you're prepared to shout at the screen, "Don't go in the basement!"

Thank you, Sir Alfred.

Sit back, turn up the audio, and (if you live in an apartment) prepare to be evicted.

HIghly recommened.

RAH

2. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Since I had missed the theatrical run of this film, I was going to get this Tuesday anyway. Mr. Harris' post closes the deal. Now I cannot wait! [​IMG]

3. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I skipped the theatrical run as well and just wanted to wait for the DVD. I cannot wait until tomorrow. Sit back, lower the restraining bar and go for a ride.

Although I am quite the opposite of Robert.

No movie can give me the thrills of a good coaster.

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

How did you manage that? This should have been near the top of the list for you and 14YO son.

The theater I saw it in had a buzzing in the surround system, so I'm looking forward to seeing it again with quality surround sound at home.

5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

It was. Just a busy summer, I guess. Maybe too much youth baseball.

Every time I saw the TV commercials, I said, "we are soooo there." Just didn't happen. It will. This week. Looking forward to it. Greatly.

6. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    What kind of supplements will this DVD have? I might just go with the D-VHS version to get the 1080i experience...

- Steve

7. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

This film is a huge "guilty pleasure" of mine. :b It's just fun to watch. Great visual effects, fantastic score (IMO anyway), awesome sound.

Disaster movies are always fun.

8. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I really liked this movie a lot! It was one of the few summer films that delivered what I expected. The effects and visuals were outstanding. I am trying to only watch horror movies this month but this one is getting watched tomorrow!

9. Alistair_M

Alistair_M Second Unit

10. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

I wasn't planning on picking this up but perhaps I'll get it the day after tomorrow. :b

11. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Just picked up my copy, thanks to a friendly clerk who beat the time by an hour "hey, it's past midnight east coast" [​IMG]

Anyway, I'll check it out.. but at $15, it's an easy pickup.

12. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

Fun.

Stupid as all hell, and about as subtle as Dom De Luise in a bullet bra...but fun.

13. Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson Supporting Actor

With all due respect to Mr. Harris, this movie was absolutely insipid. The effects were tremendous, but even disaster movies have to have some kind of believability factor if they're to be taken seriously. This movie is silly, but it's also pretentious, which makes it a rental and nothing more IMO.

14. StephenP

StephenP Stunt Coordinator

The only part I didnt like about this film was the digital wolves. Overall a fun ride and good entertainment value. I'm all for expressing our opinions, but I wish people wouldn't say such and such film is stupid. Art is appreciated on different levels by different people. Some are more adept at suspension of disbelief than others

15. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

As a disaster movie nut (I even loved The Core), Day After Tomorrow is on my must-buy list. Thank goodness for the BB Reward Zone coupons I keep getting (about 3-4 a month!). This one's mine for about $12.00.

16. DustinPizarro

DustinPizarro Stunt Coordinator

Damn, with a recommendation like that, I'm dying to see it now. But with Red Sox/Yankees playing for the ALCS tonight, this movie is gonna have to wait the next two nights. [​IMG]

17. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman

As far as these sorts of movies go, The Core was actually very good. No need to apologize for liking it!

EVERYTHING is going to have to wait for the Sox/ Yankees. Die Evil Empire, Die!!!

18. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

[​IMG] Too funny. Everything is on hold in my house because of the ALCS, too! My son is a Yankee fan. Dad is a Red Sox fan. The story of how that happened is way too long to go into here. I don't want to hijack this thread.

Back on topic...son and dad (if still talking to one another [​IMG]) will view Day After Tomorrow Thursday night.

19. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    It's only game one. They'll have to play at least three more to decide the damn thing. Watch your movie.

Prediction: Yankees in 5. [​IMG]

20. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

I must admit, even though I thought that this movie would be horrible, I figured it'd be a great DVD. I wasn't going to, but I think I'm gonna pick it up.