What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... Suspect Zero (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Suspect Zero is an interesting film.

Not a great film, by any means, but one of interest.

In this case, the filmmaker, is more of an artist-filmmaker, adding an additional layer to his work.

E. Elias Merhige is a graduate of the SUNY Purchase film program, and in reality, Suspect Zero is only his second feature film supported by a budget.

His first, Shadow of the Vampire, is a must-see for anyone with a love of cinema history, especially the early horror genre. With all of the problems which can insert themselves in a relationship between actor and director, Shadow creates a world in which director Murnau, played by John Malkovich hires as his star for Nosferatu one Max Schreck (Willem Dafoe), who just happens to be...

I won't go there and spoil the fun for those who haven't yet seen this film, but it comes highly recommended.

Which brings us to Mr. Merhige's second film, Suspect Zero. I've been waiting patiently for this film, and while it didn't live up to my hopes for it, Mr. Merhige's eye is as keen as ever, leading me to wonder where he will lead us next.

Suspect Zero is a film with script problems, but nonetheless is worth a rental.

On the downside, Paramount has joined the ignominious ranks of those who force previews on an unsuspecting audience, adding four or five trailers to the disc, before one can get to the main menu. You are forced to fast forward through these, one at a time.

Not a good thing, and something that I find almost as distasteful as commercials at movie theatres.

Suspect Zero, which arrives in stores on Tuesday (4/12), street priced at $19, should be re-priced at $12 to support the previews contained within.

While I have no problem with adding advertising to DVDs, I do have one when the ads cannot easily be circumvented, especially when the purchase of a DVD is meant for repeated viewings.

RAH

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Actually, it's not due until 4/12, and its MSRP is $29.99 - that might equal "street pricing" of $19, though Amazon has it at $21...

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Thanks for the date correction. DVDEmpire is priced at $19, which is still too expensive if the studio wishes to purchase one's time to advertise.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I've been speaking out against the forced ads on Paramount products in my reviews for the past several months... it seems to be standard procedure for their high profile titles now. Too bad...

Haven't received my screener of this one yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

-Scott

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the words about Suspect Zero, Robert.:D

I like Kingsley and Eckhart, so I'll have to give
it a look.

I couldn't agree with you more about the forced trailers.
Unfortunately it'll get worse before it gets better. The
best thing to do is fast-forward or get your beverage of
choice while these damn trailers are playing. If we want
commercials, we can just turn on network TV and keep our
DVD players off.:thumbsdown: :angry:

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the update RAH.

I thought that Interview with a Vampire was superb especially as Dafoe & Malkovich were very convincing.

:emoji_thumbsup:

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I received this DVD on Wednesday (only watched the movie and alternate ending so far). I loved the movie (better than Elektra which I also watched on the same night).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks