What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... Rustlers' Rhapsody (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There are tiny moments in films which sometimes make the entire experience worthwhile.

What were known as "B" westerns, no different from "B" Sci-Fi productions, filmed on the cheap in local caves and hillsides, were a staple of the Hollywood machine, coming from both studios and independant producers from the early days of talkies to the late 1940s.

Short on plot and production values, these films were usually found as Saturday afternoon fodder in hundreds of local towns across America.

Generally no longer than six or seven reels, with passable audio and cinematography, and sometimes not quite passable acting, they were gone from the scene as television made its entrance.

The basic concept of Rustlers' Rhapsody is what those westerns would be like if they were still produced today.

Which has yielded one of those tiny pleasures of my cinema-going experience.

If one is seeking a demo disc, not to blast your friends out of your home theatre, but to show the difference between monaural and newer stereo sound, I've found nothing better than the opening of Rustlers' Rhapsody... which is also a sweet little film in its own right.

At less than nine dollars, its worth the price of admission.

RAH

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
I too like Rustlers' Rhapsody. It was directed and written by Hugh Wilson, creator of WKRP in Cincinnati and Frank's Place and director of the first and only worthwhile Police Academy movie. I think this is his most enjoyable movie, the one that best captures the fun and wit of Wilson's TV work, though the versions I've seen clearly suffer from studio re-cutting. I didn't even know this was coming out, but now that I know, I'll definitely be getting it. Thanks, Mr. Harris.

Jeff>K>B

Stunt Coordinator
This was the first laser disc I ever bought to show off my brand new Surround system 9 years ago. Fond memories :)

Paul Bond

Stunt Coordinator
I LOVE Rustler's Rhapsody!! I have a hard time deciding whether I like it or Blazing Saddles better. It is difficult to compare the two as the humor in RR is so much more tongue-in-cheek than pie-in-your-face. They make a wonderful double feature.

And my favorite line:

"He's coming! And he's standing in the saddle!!!"

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Count me as another fan of RR. I don't have the DVD, but caught the film in high definition on the InHD cable channel last August. Prior to that I had never heard of the film. Definitely a fun experience.

BillGo

Stunt Coordinator
I too am a fan of Rustlers' Rhapsody and will purchase it to replace my old laserdisc version when the DVD becomes available on 5/11.

I understand the audio is in DD 2.0 for Pro Logic playback; if so, it's too bad it has not been remastered in 5.1 because the soundtrack was pretty good, as I recall, especially the opening.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Does this movie at some point have the line, "From now on, I'm the town root junkie!"?

I saw a cornball western back in high-school that was hilarious. I've forgotten the name and details, but it may have been Rustler's Rhapsody, given the comparison to Blazing Saddles.

I'll keep on eye out for it.

Mick Wright

Second Unit
I used to impress HT neophytes with the laser disc. I had no idea the dvd was out. Thanks for posting RAH.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I'd definitely recommend this as (at least) a rental for anyone who loves the old-fashioned oaters. I may not know a whole lot about the movies that Wilson is referencing (my knowledge of the western genre begins somewhere around High Noon) but there's plainly a whole lot of affection to be found in Rustler's Rhapsody. It may not be a laff-a-minute gutbuster sort of comedy, but it's certainly pleasant and quietly funny enough to warrant a look from those who've never seen it.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks