A Few Words About A few words about... No Way Out

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Robert Harris, May 5, 2006.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    No Way Out, the latest in the trilogy of releases of Fox Film Noir classics, is a film that holds up beautifully after 56 years.

Starring Richard Widmark, and featuring a young Sidney Poitier in his first role as a black intern in an essentially white hospital, the film takes a literate and active stance against bigotry.

The film was produced by Darryl Zanuck, directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz and photographed by Milton Krasner (Woman in the Window, All About Eve). As a film with an important message beneath its storyline, it could well have been crafted by Stanley Kramer.

Mr. Poitier, one of the most elegant and classy actors of our time, has not been seen on screen since his role in The Jackel, nine years ago. It would be nice to have him back in theatres once again.

Fox's transfer, from a quality film element, holds up well in the compressed world of DVD.

As both a film, and a DVD, No Way Out is highly recommended, and is a well chosen addition to Fox's Noir library.

RAH

2. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    I thought this would be about the Kevin Costner film of the same title. I wanted to know your take on the infamous "limo scene". [​IMG]

3. JohnPM

JohnPM Second Unit

Has there been mention anywhere of "The Lodger" or "Hangover Square" being scheduled for release in the Fox noir group? I realize these aren't exactly noir titles, but it would be nice to have them finally available.

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/

4. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    I believe we'll be seeing Mr. Cregar's work next from Fox in The Black Swan, as part of their Studio Classics series.

A wonderful actor, and a sad tale.

RAH

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    He certainly was and that's very true. By the way, a nice little film noir with Cregar is coming out next month "I Wake Up Screaming" which has a great performance from him in it.

In regard, to "No Way Out", I remembered seeing an interview with Poitier in which he talked about how Widmark would always apologize to him after each day of shooting because of the vile things Widmark's character would say to Poitier's. They became live-long friends and did two more films together.

Crawdaddy

6. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Surely, a mention should be made of Linda Darnell's performance in the film. Normally, it's her great beauty that's talked about rather than her acting but in No Way Out, Ms. Darnell showed that when the right elements were in place, she could rise to the occasion.