What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... Mean Creek (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Scott, I thought the exact same thing when I saw Mean Creek. Bully left me feeling just as disturbed... but not for the right reasons.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Thanks for the heads up on that Vincent. I thought I heard him say that in the commentary, but I instead went by what imdb.com had to say. All fixed now!

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I agree with Vincent's answers to Jon's complaints. Try and put yourself into the confused mindset of a teenager. I dont know how hold you are, but I am 26 and vividly remember those trying and tumultuous times. The right thing is not always obvious. They sent out to get revenge for this kid. When he actually got hurt, they felt guilty for the whole thought of causing him harm, which led to his death. Their actions, both in violence beforehand, and after wards were very believable for kids their age.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
After reading the HTF review and this thread, I went out and purchased a copy of this DVD this morning. I have just finished watching it and I fully agree with all of the positive comments about this indy film. It is one of the best I have seen recently. The DVD also looks and sounds quite good on large screen projection system. The acting, casting and script are fantastic and the sound track is really amazing, particularly given the low budget for this film.

Don_Limey

Stunt Coordinator
I was suprised by this film & I think it was one of the best of 2004. I loved the performance by TX boy Scott Mechlowicz & Trevor Morgan. I was only disappointed that it did not have any closure on the characters in the end
but everything else was good.

Shawn_Sek

Stunt Coordinator
i loved the film but have 2 pretty big issues that i cant really make sense of...

when rocky tells sam to trust him, im your big brother, sam says "but i dont trust you". thats understandable to a point, you cant really trust anyone after this, but after this whole ordeal, i would think he can trust his brother. and in the end, sam looks to be the sell out, actually telling the camera at the police station that he never saw his brother more out of control. where does this come from? judging from the scene in the boat, its pretty accidental with rocky just trying to keep the boys seperated. why is sam selling his brother out like this? why not just say he was in control, trying to keep things calm? why does sam wanna pin this on his brother? it leaves the film with a sour note IMO.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Shawn:

By telling the police his brother was out of control, Sam is helping him. If his brother was rational when he pushed George into the water, he'd be in a lot more trouble than if he did it in the heat of passion. It's the difference between 2nd Degree Murder and Involuntary Manslaughter.

Roland:

The video the police are looking at was found in George's bedroom. It's not the same tape he made on the boat.

Vincent

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Just finished watching this and it is EASILY one of the best films I have seen in ages. While very similar to River's Edge, I found this to be a better handling of the subject.

Anthony Wolfe

Stunt Coordinator
Did a blind buy on this one based on this thread, or maybe I saw it on Amazon and read the description, I dunno, all I know is that when I read the description I was drawn to the movie. Got it, watched it the same night, was blown away.

What it touched on emotionally with me (I'm a bigger guy that often was often not given a chance simply because of that and because of people who didn't know me) is astounding. It's one of those deals where you understand Pecks character but at the same time it's hard to side with him or feel for him.

At times I found myself just blown away by the emotions I felt. I feel like just writing about the film (and maybe I will), just to get my feelings off my chest.

I think it's an amazing film with superb acting. The girl who played Millie (aka too lazy to look up the name), really showed me something after George you know what, I could feel the performance. GAH, brilliant man. I love it.

Justin L

Auditioning
I had wanted to see this one in theaters but sadly it didn't play near me so I rented it a week or so back and I loved it, the plot was somewhat like Bully although it was an accident and not murder. The acting was astounding especially coming from such a young cast. I couldn't recomend it more, one of the best surprise films of 2004..IMO anyway.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
how would that kid know the difference between first and second degree murder?

i though the movie was good but not as good as has been spoken of in this thread.
the only parts i liked and thought were effective was any scene that happened once they headed to the river.
after george died, it stopped working for me. i just wanted it to get to the end much quicker, and to see what happened to everyone

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks