What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... Lost (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
One of the great things about the DVD explosion is that during the past couple of years, television programming has come to the fore.

Like many, my schedule doesn't permit me to view shows on a regualar basis, and at a certain point even Tivo begins to automatically delete episodes.

I had viewed the premiere episodes of Lost, and then moved on. Not because of the quality of the show, but rather, I found that the rhythms of the show, flashbacks, hurried cutting, etc. were lost on me each and every time the show went to commercial. It wasn't a terribly comfortable experience.

Now with the release of the DVD, I can, and have viewed every one of the 42 minute episodes...

some 1,068 minutes of running time, over the past week.

And the show, as has been reported, is a superior entertainment.

With a main cast of fourteen characters, and another fifty or so on the odd island, the episodes move almost at the pace of 24, with not a spare bit of extra time to be found anywhere.

Not suggested viewing for those about to depart on any aeronautic adventure, the show pulls you into its midst and doesn't let go.

Viewing various episodes, I was reminded of The High and the Mighty, (the grandaddy of this type of project) as well as the current Survivor. There are undertones which brought to mind the baptism sequence from The Godfather, as well as music scoring in the final episodes that is quite reminiscent of Bernard Herrmann's work on "Vertigo" and Psycho.

The DVD concept works especially well with Lost, and it comes highly recommended from these quarters, especially for those who can find a spare 1,068 minutes.

This is television that can compete head to head with theatrical programming.

RAH

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I am tempted to hold off watching the rest of season 2 of LOST until the DVDs come out, BUT there's the lure of the HD presentation, so I will be recording 3 week blocks of LOST from now on (the DVR only holds so much HD content) and watching them that way. Your experience above is close to how I was brought into the crazy world of 24; I didn't watch the first season until the DVD release and then I was HOOKED!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Damn Robert, you just made me regret not jumping on the Best Buy deal last week where if I bought Desperate Housewives (had to, for the girlfriend) I could have gotten Lost Season 1 for $29.99. :frowning:

I guess the only silver lining is that I really don't have time to get engrossed in another 1 hour a week TV series, so maybe if I never get to watch it, I'll never know what I'm missing ;)

MarcoAD

Stunt Coordinator
I'd have to agree ,while I watched every episode last season I enjoyed it that much more experiencing it on DVD w/ 5.1, no commercials etc.! I’d say beyond that, turning around and re-watching the episodes that feature commentary, which by the way are excellent was also well worth the DVD purchase. I’ve been watching the past couple weeks of Season 2 and plan to do so every week but man I can’t wait to enjoy it again on DVD.

richardWI

Second Unit

Coming from RAH, this is no small compliment. Lost has provided me with so many hours of solid entertainment, and I always enjoy readng about new people getting hooked. Especially people whose opinions I respect.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Damn, I had been harassing my family for watching any network TV - they should be watching a good movie! - and now they have an endorsement like this.

On the other hand, they don't read HTF ...

(Who am I kidding, it was a lost cause, my son got Lost S1 for my wife for her birthday. But now I can add it to DVD Profiler without being embarrased.)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
A few more thoughts regarding the Season One Lost DVD...

Now having had the opportunity to few the DVD with extras, the set becomes even more appealing.

Filled to the brim with casting decisions, screen tests, discussions, explanations of how to pitch an idea to a network and succeed, plus the trials and tribulations surrounding the production of the Pilot Episode.

The extra disc is not only an entire film course in digital format, but actually makes the production people, actors and technicians look...

well, not only nice, but intelligent, interesting, and someone with whom you might actually wish to share a meal...

or a career.

This is the sort of thing that could turn high school students bad, sending them to film schools in search of this sort of low-life work.

If more production discs like this one start showing up as part of DVD packages, it could ruin the industry.

Brilliantly constructed, and apparently spoken from the heart, this disc is about as good as it gets.

Lest one needed another reason to buy with set.

RAH

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

I thought that even the 'prettiest' cast members and, to my knowledge, most inexperienced in terms of acting (Evangeline Lilly, Maggie Grace, and Ian Somerhalder) were actually interesting in their interviews or commentary. They didn't just giggle or say "Yeah, everyone's great to work with." They actually answered the questions that they were being asked.

Call me prejudiced but I just kind of assumed that since they were good looking that were also dumb. Glad to be proven wrong!

julienUK

Stunt Coordinator
there was an article in the Times here in the uk a few weeks back saying that it was no surprise cinema ticket sales is plunging, because of course of the quality of most Hollywood productions (with some exceptions of course, and no offence to u American folk ).

I agree with them when they said that a movie is 3 hours top and can only develop a storyline so much, whereas tv shows like Lost & 24 have basically almost 18 hours a season to develop all that. And with the quality of the performances and
the writing, it kind of replaces cinema in a way.

Friends in Pariswere telling me that when Lost aired there, primetime saturday evening - 2 eps back to back, nobody was going out! bars were empty and all!

Which can of proves that with such good shows, public is more likely to stay home and watch a show on dvd or on telly rather than pay smething like £11 to see a movie.

Anyway... will try to find that article and scan it.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson

Assuming we're talking about QUALITY theatrical programming, this is a claim that I'd make for NAKED CITY, but certainly not for LOST...the characters are way too inconsistent in their behavior, and it just feels like they're making it up as they go along. Which of course they are.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't care (or understand why anyone else does) if they are or aren't making it up as they go. In my opinion, if the show maintains its level of excellence, it's meaningless if they already have every word of every episode written or make it up every week.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I have never understood this complaint - it means about as much as saying it sucks or it is amazing.

Besides that statement sounds like a description of life which makes the character actions even more realistic!:D

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Robert, if you have not done so yet, go back and view the commentaries for Pilot: Part 1 & 2. JJ and Damon are in great form and the commentaries are the perfect complement to the superlative 'extras' disc you enjoyed so much. On a few occasions, JJ asks them to, "pause the playback!" and the disc branches to additional behind-the-scenes footage with supplemental audio commentary. Very cool!

Thanks for your RAH "seal of approval!"

Valerie

Auditioning
I got hooked on this show the first time it aired. It's a breath of fresh air in a TV schedule full of lawyer shows, poor sitcoms, and endless reality series (except for Survivor & The Amazing Race).

I've only had a chance to watch the first few episodes of the set, plus a couple of the extras. I love extras where you get to see all the behind the scenes work that goes on during these productions.

I'm currently enrolled in a filmmaking course at a local community college and this spring was involved in a student film as the script supervisor. Having always wanted to be on a film set, it was like a dream come true and while it was hard work I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Watching the extras of Lost covering the filming of the pilot episode I couldn't help but smile. Several times I caught myself thinking, "Oh yeah, I know what that's like." or "Hey, I know what that means now.". Seeing "on the set" extras on DVDs are always a thrill. I love the education they provide and now that I've had some of that experience myself I enjoy them even more.

Season two is already giving my brain a workout. This series really keeps you guessing and wondering what's going to happen next.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I picked it up last week. The DVD is comprised mostly of material from the box set bonus disc (Welcome to Oahau, etc.) The ONLY exclusives I found were a few additional 'deleted scenes' not on the box set or the TV Guide disc. If the book was published before the DVD set came out, then I might feel differently about it, but as it stands, the disc is a letdown and if you are planning on buying the book just to get the disc... don't. The book, on the other hand, is of decent quality. I skimmed it briefly the other night and nothing revelatory jumped out at me, but it appears to be well-produced, although it reads like a traditional 'coffee table' book. I picked up the first issue of the magazine as well, which incidently is produced and published by the same people as the book. First blush, it is on par with the Alias and Smallville magazines and is a gossipy, fun read that will only set you back $7 instead of $19 for the book. As always, YMMV...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks