What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... John Wayne: An American Icon -- in Stardard Definition (1 Viewer)

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I watched both of these films recently, and was impressed with both, The Hunters starts slow, but builds to a great conclusion. The Enemy Below, was beaufully constructed from the start. The way it develops to the confrontation between Mitchum and Jurgens was very well handled. The acting throughout is excellent, which is what you'd expect from an actor turned director.

JohnPM

Second Unit
No doubt about Dick Powell being one of the great talents and forward-thinkers in the business. What he achieved with television in the fifties was unmatched by any other feature player. He saw the changes coming and rushed out to meet them. Pity he died so young.

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/

Charles H

Screenwriter
I concur about Dick Powell being a genius and recognizing talent and genius also. He "discovered" or gave early recognition to directors Blake Edwards, Sam Peckinpah, Robert Aldrich and actors like Steve McQueen, Joanne Woodward, Charles Bronson, James Coburn, Robert Culp, Peter Falk, Robert Redford, Dina Merrill in his series and tv anthologies---not to mention his taking a bit actor like Aaron Spelling and transforming into a major producer/player.
Howard Hughes was the real auteur of both THE CONQUERER and JET PILOT.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter

I didn't mean to sound like 'I'm right and your not' about the films. Like you mentioned, to each his own.

And I'm glad there are people who enjoy and buy these films, otherwise they might never see the light of day on DVD. A case in point...I really love Duke's six Warner westerns he made between 1932 - 1933. It would make my day to see them eventually released, but Warner probably feels that there is not a big enough audience out there, to justify their release.

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit

This is WARNER you're talking about. Those 6 neat pictures are great fun, and were very successful on VHS. I'd be hugely surprised if they didn't have them planned for a DVD sometime soon.

FYI-They were produced by Leon Schlesinger, who also produced Looney Tunes!

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
I got this set last week because of the cheap price & the fact that some of the movies are in technicolor & couldn't believe how great The Shepard of the Hills is. I've never even heard of it & I'm not really a John Wayne fan but I love this movie! I recommend it to anyone who loves classic movies.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Well, finally had a chance to re-visit 'Seven Sinners' again last night. Universal did a very nice job on transferring this 66-year old film to DVD (wish the recently released Stagecoach looked this good). While not the complete bore-fest I remember it to be (possibly the crystal clear image helped), I can still sum up the film in five letters....F-L-U-F-F. Seems if Universal were looking to strike lightning again using some of the same cast from the previous year's far superior 'Destry Rides Again', they should have also brought in the same writing-and-director crew from that movie. This film suffers from extreme plot holes (possible exercised after filming completed).

Like I've mentioned already, this Universal set is well worth the money alone for 'The Shepherd Of The Hills'....a masterpiece of a movie!

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Although it's not indicated anywhere on the actual package itself, the security sticker at the top of this set indicated that it is Volume 1. What movies could be released in Volume 2 from Universal? (Assuming The Spoilers & Reap the Wild Wind won't be included since they were already released.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks