A Few Words About A few words about... I Love Lucy

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Robert Harris, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Paramount is shortly releasing the fourth season of I Love Lucy, over 13 hours of classic television.

Having watched these episodes deteriorate over the decades via duped elements and syndication prints, viewing these new DVDs is nothing short of amazing.

As they've been doing from day one, the technical staff at Paramount has been meticulously returning to the surviving original negatives, creating new masters and tracking quality throughout, all the way to the final pressings of the DVDs for distribution.

From element through DVD production and packaging, the I Love Lucy releases have been top quality from the earliest season. Inclusive of a handful of extras, inclusive of very short "flubs," Paramount has done Lucy, Ricky, Ethel and Fred proud.

Regarding packaging, I've heard comments about thinner packaging and an inability to have the necessary information on the spine in a readable form. This couldn't be more incorrect.

Paramount is using the Scanavo packaging, which is protective, space-saving and elegant.

With so many DVDs coming our way, shelf space comes at a premium. In recent releases we have an attractive, but hefty The L Word at the lower end and some of the fold-outs and Scanavo at the top.

An elegant way to go. Kudos to Paramount on their choice.

RAH

2. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

I feel the same way. These are just classy releases. I have never seen the show look or sound this good, and the extras are fantastic and very uniform. I also love the menu designs, the packaging, and the price!

3. Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

I agree these are great sets and I own all that have been released. My only complaint is that the original opening credits are not attached to the episodes. They are there as an extra, but this is not the same thing. The original closing credits are also missing. The lettering on closing credits were white instead of black. The background was Phillip Morris cigarettes instead of a heart I would also have liked to see Lucy and Desi commercials for Phillip Morris included.

4. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

I like the current credits better. The heart is classier and more familiar.

5. DaveK

DaveK Second Unit

What happened to the closing credits???

6. AlanP

AlanP Supporting Actor

I thought they were redoing the first season, with the current packaging ?? What happened it was due the same time as season 4, and was pulled ???
    Anyone know if this is a delay or permanent ??
    I LOVE THE NEW PACKAGING, ALL DVDS, SHOULD BE THIS SLEEK SLIM PACKAGING, they could use the back of the insert to print more info, and save paper !!!!!!!!!

7. ChadP2k

ChadP2k Stunt Coordinator

The first season will be re-released soon... see the previous thread on that topic. It's just a temporary delay.

And I agree on the packaging issue... I was an original Columbia House I Love Lucy subscriber (when they used the full sized keep cases for half of season 1). Buying the new versions and selling my old discs on eBay has freed up a ton of shelf space for other TV dvds.

I especially like the "Brady Bunch" concept... they used the DOUBLE thinpaks, so four discs fit in a space just slightly bigger than a normal keepcase.

8. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

These releases have allowed something i thought unthinkable with Lucy and Me....I am enjoying these episodes as if seeing them for the first time.

That is due entirely to the format and packaging and transfers, which have now spoiled me completely. Why oh why can't all the tv box sets be like this?