What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... Hotel & Brown Bunny (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I found the time to watch two films this weekend, and I thought I'd offer a short report on them as they are both outside the main stream of filmmaking -- Vincent Gallo's Brown Bunny and Mike Figgis' Hotel.

While I had heard and read too much about Brown Bunny, I was almost totally unaware of Hotel.

Both of these films might be categorized as "experimental," which made them an interesting pairing.

I've been a fan of Mr. Figgis' work since Stormy Monday in 1988, and have seems most of his films in the intervening years. With Time Code he took up a more experimental mode, and Hotel continues in that vein, albeit with less success.

As far as I can tell, Hotel is ostensibly about a group of filmmakers working on the production of a new version of The Dutchess of Malfi in Venice via the dogme style of filmmaking.

There are a number of stories going on in this film, and I'd be lying if I said that I understood what they were really about. One follows a group of what appear to be canabilistic vampire types who may be preying on the actors.

Other than that I really can't explain much of what I viewed.

What I did come away with, however, was the feeling that I was viewing some sort of grand experiment, and wondering where it might be going. At the very least the film gets you thinking. Ultimately, while style did not survive over content, the style was clearly in force. And while the viewer may not come away feeling rewarded, there is at least that note of being there while something that should be seen is going on.

For those who might want to take a chance on an oddball film from a very talented and creative filmmaker, Hotel is a recommended rental.

On the other hand, for Brown Bunny...

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I hope that Vincent Gallo isn't inspired by this to repeat his Ebert-incident of putting a hex on any of RAH's vital internal organs. :)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Per Haggai's suggestion, I have edited my discussion above...

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Oh come on, I really wanted to read your BROWN BUNNY comments! I sincerely doubt that Mr. Gallo actually has any mystical powers that would enable him to hex your colon :)

Vincent

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
:laugh: It's an unusual DVD review where RAH's vital organs (and precious bodily fluids?) are potentially on the line...

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

As did I, but the final two paragraphs of Mr Harris's post rather convey IMHO all he wants or needs to say anyway.

Somewhat similar to the apocryphal story of a philosophy student answering the exam question "What is guts?" with the one-liner "This is guts." (Or handing up a blank sheet, depending on which version you hear.)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I saw the original comments, and that was about it, Ken. Something like two lines, where he basically did a mirror of his comments for Hotel: "As for style over content, Brown Bunny had neither." And then, he did make a comment about it being about the longest 95 minutes of his life.

Now, I just hope he was kidding about trying to avoid the hex, or I may have to edit my recreation. :)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
RAH has been known to kid around in some of his HTF mini-reviews, a la Sky Captain. The bit about Tom Hanks' multi-character performance is pretty classic. :D

Kain_C

Screenwriter

He got me and good with that one.

I take it the trimmings didn't do anything for the film?

I read this at IMDb:

"The opening scene of Gallo driving was originally almost 20 minutes of him just driving until it was cut down because it was too long."

Good god.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Sir David Lean commented of Mr. Sharif's approach to the well in Lawrence, that had he the guts, he would like to have held each of the few shots just a bit longer.

He was referring to additional frames, or 24ths of a second, adding in total possibly 3-4 seconds to the whole.

That is called craftsmanship.

RAH

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
I did watch BB at 1.5x speed, to get past the driving moments, with some sound still audible.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
As I understand it, Tarkovsky's interminable "driving through the Oosaka freeway system" shots in SOLARIS were forced on him by the Soviet government, which had failed to issue his crew visas in time for them to make their filming date at the World's Fair but insisted nonetheless that they go to Japan, shoot off the film they had been allocated, and cut it into the movie. :rolleyes:On the other hand, nothing could possibly be as tedious as a film shown [or "installed"?] at the Art Museum here recently, the unedited record of a camera pointed out the window during the long drive from Fort Worth to Midland. Four hours plus, and that's at a speed that raises eyebrows among the Highway Patrolmen.

Jim Tudor

Stunt Coordinator

I saw the current, significantly shorter version at a press screening (which I only point to say that I didn't pay to see this), and there was still an awful lot of aimless driving. In the rain. With the radio playing Gordon Lightfoot. Draw your own conclusions.

JiM T

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Well, somebody knows the only reason why people are buying this movie! :laugh:
Warhol's brain farts may have been longer, but have you ever driven between Fort Worth and Midland? There is absolutely nothing there, just barren earth and leaden sky and the road, straight as a ruler and apparently going nowhere, bisecting the featureless plain of apparently infinite size. It is one of the prime spots for "highway hypnosis", and the only reason more people aren't killed is that there are no bends in the road.
Compared to that, a static shot of the Empire State Building is enthrallingly involving -- at least you can count the windows.

si01naimur12

Auditioning
Real Name
naimur Rahman
We are an experienced travel agency based in Tel Aviv, working in the Israeli tourism market for over 30 years. A family business at first, we have established excellent working relations with all the major hotel chains in Israel. Specializing in this market, we are able to secure amazing deals, special low rates and obtain discounts, saving you money on your next hotel accommodation in Israel. Tell us what is your dream accommodation, all your special requirements, likes and dislikes and we’ll tailor the best possible deal we can, especially for you. Each deal is a one-off, specific to your needs and requirements – That is why we can’t quote any prices on our website. Just contact us via this site and we’ll get back to you with the best possible price quote within 24 hours. Don’t settle for computerized websites. All these sites provide the same agreed-upon price quote. We are actual travel agents that can negotiate the best rate possible just for you. We can recommend which hotel you should book based on our vast experience and your preferences. Still not convinced? Check out these testimonials from satisfied customers. So easy! So simple! you’re on your way to an affordable hotel accommodation in Israel with personal service from a travel agent, not a computer . Enjoy! Have any questions? Don’t hesitate to contact us:hotels in jerusalem israel

si01naimur12

Auditioning
Real Name
naimur Rahman
We are an experienced travel agency based in Tel Aviv, working in the Israeli tourism market for over 30 years. A family business at first, we have established excellent working relations with all the major hotel chains in Israel. Specializing in this market, we are able to secure amazing deals, special low rates and obtain discounts, saving you money on your next hotel accommodation in Israel. Tell us what is your dream accommodation, all your special requirements, likes and dislikes and we’ll tailor the best possible deal we can, especially for you. Each deal is a one-off, specific to your needs and requirements – That is why we can’t quote any prices on our website. Just contact us via this site and we’ll get back to you with the best possible price quote within 24 hours. Don’t settle for computerized websites. All these sites provide the same agreed-upon price quote. We are actual travel agents that can negotiate the best rate possible just for you. We can recommend which hotel you should book based on our vast experience and your preferences. Still not convinced? Check out these testimonials from satisfied customers. So easy! So simple! you’re on your way to an affordable hotel accommodation in Israel with personal service from a travel agent, not a computer . Enjoy! Have any questions? Don’t hesitate to contact us: hotels in jerusalem israel

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks