What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... Gone with the Wind (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Can't wait to add it to the collection today on my way home from work...

gonna have a "Gone with the Wind party" at my place on the big-screen...woohooo!

-dave :D

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
DVDBeaver put up more comparision shots with the old disc.
just the way i remember it- some of those caps are actually headache inducing there is so much ringing.

that first release was one ugly mofo

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Thank you for checking your original, Mr. Harris. I hope I didn't come across as looking a gift horse in the mouth. The program reprod. is a nice touch to an excellent set.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mr. Pennington...

Not at all.

Your message was absolutely appropriate. One of the elements that helps HTF be the success that it is...

is the ability to correct errors. If we are attempting to educate and illuminate, errors will occur from time to time from all members. But accuracy should be at the foremost. This, and the high level of intelligence of the HTF membership, is what sets it apart from other on-line groups.

RAH

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Paul,

how right you are. At casual glance, the first release looks "sharper" and I'm sure that some folks making a cursory glance might even think this to themselves...part of why we have the nasties of EE with us to begin with...small screens and blury source material.

But on closer inspection the ringing on that first R1 disc is really bad...and it doesn't even START to really show what it looks like in those small screen caps...on a large-screen display or projector it is simply horrid...

Also shows the other nasty side-affect that EE has in an image, all the film-grain is turned to a dirty digital garble. Master and Commander is a DVD that looks "noisy" and you'd be tempted to think it's just heavy film-grain but it's not...the D-VHS version is clean as a whistle BECAUSE IT'S EE FREE...

So many of our DVDs look noisey/grainy and it's not even real film-grain...it's EE grabbing hold of all that fine-level film-grain and turning it into noise.

Those screen caps of GWTW are a good demonstration of this problem...thankfully WB is really learning how to properly master film to video...each DVD seems more and more true to the film-source material...it's really reassuring, and an absolute PLEASURE to watch projected!

-dave

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
It's a nice touch, but was the original program really this exact size? My eyes are getting older. I need a magnifying glass to comfortably read this program replica.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Thanks Barry. Hence the description "miniature" I guess. That's what I thought, but the phrase "1:1 representation" made me wonder a little.

Tony Scello

Second Unit
I watched this last night with my wife and we were both blown away by this absolutely beautiful presentation :emoji_thumbsup: Mr. Harris, as usual, is right on target with his assessment. I can't wait to get into the supplemental features. Warner Bros. comes through again...

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
I reserved a couple copies at Warner Bros. 'cause I knew this was coming. $19.89!! Yeah baby! Gonna have to have a screening and call everyone over.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
Just as I'm completely thrilled with this DVD set (I think I've already watched everything twice), I get an invitation to go see the restored GWTW in digital projection at the old Selznick studio (now the Culver Studios) this weekend, courtesy of - I think - Warners and the studio's new owners to celebrate the release of the DVD set. I opened the invitation and when I saw that the cover read, "Join us for the hottest film event since the burning of Atlanta", I just knew what was inside.

Turns out, they apparently scheduled several shows and the response was so huge that they had to schedule extra shows for the following weekend. All this plus a tour of the soundstages where the film was shot!

I hope this means that, at some point, they'll re-release this reworked GWTW in theaters either digitally or on film because I think everyone should have a chance to see it on the big screen.

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator
Gerardo, a tour to the soundstages! You are a lucky guy!
Living in LA must have its advantages, after all:D

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
During a tour of the stages, request entrance to the set and prop bays. You should still be able to find much of the material stored in Kane's warehouse, the broken stained glass panel from GWTW, early carrying cases from the original owners of the lot...

and the staircase from Ambersons.

Happy hunting.

RAH

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
Thanks! I'm very excited about this GWTW adventure. I worked at the studio many years ago and remember seeing some of the props from Citizen Kane at the time, but never realized that some of the GWTW things were still there. If they allow me to, I'll take some pictures.

But the greatest thing for me is still to see GWTW on the big screen again in all its glory.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
How much better do you think this would be if I were to wait for the inevitable high definition release?

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks