What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... Eric Rohmer's Six Moral Tales (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The look, textures, sounds and overall appeal of Eric Rohmer's Six Moral Tales, released between 1962 and 1972, are all in place as released by Criterion in a near two-pound boxed set. Everything about them, from packaging and disc design to the new transfers themselves bespeaks a simple elegance that is seldom found in the home video marketplace.

Mr. Rohmer, who several months ago celebrated his 86th birthday, must be thrilled.

The overall look of these films is probably due more to the work and influence of cinematographer Nestor Almendros than anyone or anything else. His work was magnificent 30 years ago, and is now more than ever alive again in this representation of some of his best work.

My memories of these films in their original Eastman Color prints have not prepared me for the quality of the transfers, which have color, saturation and densities handled in the most delicate manner. Flesh tones are note perfect throughout.

In short, this will be one of a handful of boxed sets that will make the Best lists of 2006.

Everything about it is perfect, down to the interior of the box itself.

A monumental release that should be of interest to anyone who loves the cinema. For those who are not Rohmer fans, this is your chance to see why critics around the world hailed this series, and recognized its greatness.

RAH

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Wow, thanks for the sterling report Mr. Harris.

I have only seen these films on the poor quality Fox Lorber DVD's. Even the later Arrow Films release I have of Love in the Afternoon is not a substantial improvement.

Needless to say I can't wait to have this set in my hands.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
My only viewings of these films have been on home video, particulary the VHS editions which I watched over and over when in college in the late 80s. The quality of those is a far cry from what you're seeing on Criterion's DVDs or the prints you saw theatrically - or, for that matter, the very poor DVDs I've seen of Rohmer's work (including some of these films and many others. I'm absolutely thrilled by the prospect of seeing these all over again in a quality that I never thought possible.

This is my most anticipated release of the year. To read Robert's praise of these transfers makes me wonder how I'm gonna be able to wait another two-and-a-half weeks!

I wonder if Gary's seen these yet? I think he's the biggest Rohmer fanatic I know, so I can only assume he's levitating two feet off the floor right about now! :)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I'm really looking forward to this release.

It'll be great to see these films again with proper transfers this time. This will probably wind up being the best release of 2006.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Thank you for the report, Mr. Harris!

I also can not wait for these films. I own them on VHS, a couple on laser, and all the Fox Lorber DVDs. I will GLADLY buy them once again, as Rohmer is without question my favorite filmmaker. He has worked steadily for the past 40+ years and has never really had a film that I didn't love (maybe TRIPLE AGENT, but that had more to do with the subject matter). Even Godard, Truffaut, and Chabrol don't have his batting average.

And not to mention the extras!!! All sorts of short films I have never been able to track down.

As for Adam's question, Rohmer isn't for everyone so, while I wouldn't say you should blind buy the set, I'd say rent maybe MY NIGHT AT MAUD's or CLAIRE'S KNEE (probably his most popular). If either one works for you, buy the entire set.

Should very well be the disc of the year.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
oh I'll netflix it, right now I can't even afford the Searchers, much less a criterion set.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
My personal favorite, and one of my favorite films period is Love in the Afternoon. It treads some of the same thematic ground as Eyes Wide Shut without all the visualized fantasy (though it does include the only instance of a dream sequence I'm aware of in Rohmer's films). However, I think you need to have been married for awhile to realize how incisive the film is.

Maud's, while being Rohmer's most lauded film, has a good deal of philosophical heavy lifting. The Bakery Girl at Monceau, La Collectioneuse or Claire's Knee would probably be better entry points.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
Does anyone know what Mozart piece is played at the recital during My Night At Maud's? about 20 minutes into the film. The score is sitting on a stand and clearly says "W.A. Mozart" but i can't make out the actual piece

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Haven't read it elsewhere, so thought I would mention it here, but there is a UK R2 release of Rohmer's SIGNE DU LION (SIGN OF LEO). It is the first subtitled release of the film on DVD(it was very briefly released in France, but has been out of print for years).

I watched it last night, and it is excellent.

It is on a 2 DVD set. Also on the disc is a one hour documentary by Rohmer on the Lumiere Brothers, showing many of their shorts, along with interviews with Jean Renoir and Henri Langlois.

The second disc is made up of shorts found on the Criterion set. But still worth picking up for that first disc.

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the tip!

It took me a day, but I finally found it at Amazon. Apparently, Artificial Eye titled the disk Eric Rohmer: The Early Works, but Amazon has it listed as The Eric Rohmer Collection.

Amazon claims it won't, but I hope it arrives in time for xmas. I frequently receive disks in 3-4 days from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks