A Few Words About A few words about... Breakfast at Tiffany's

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Robert Harris, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Paramount's new release (as the Annversary Edition) is a vast improvement over the earlier (1999) anamorphic release.

Colors and textures appear much more accurate, and we actually have darkness and shadow, something that didn't make it to the DVD the first time around. Film grain looks normal and proper, and the package as a whole, inclusive of the newly produced documentary, is a winner for Paramount.

I'm not a fan of "Anniversary Editions" per se, as I don't believe that this overused sales tactic has much value beyond an excuse to update one's bar codes and re-offer the same of title as something new.

This Anniversary Edition gives us both a new transfer, as well as welcome extras. Its going to be interesting to see whether re-issues and upgrades of standard definition fare continue as high definition appears over the horizon.

Both the film as well as the new DVD are highly recommended.

RAH

2. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Good stuff RAH. This one is on my list...[​IMG]

3. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Screenwriter

Andy Budgell
    I just got through this new DVD, and I loved it. The extras were great, and the film was even better than I remembered.

Andy

4. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
  5. willyTass

willyTass Supporting Actor

An impressive improvement in picture quality.

6. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Yup, but not enough to make me buy it again.

7. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Wow, what a vast improvement over the original transfer! Tiffany's is my favorite Audrey Hepburn film. When such a notable increase in video quality and extras can be had for $14 shipped at Deep Discount DVD, a double-dip on this title is a no-brainer for me. The old disc goes up on eBay today. Thanks for your thoughts Mr. Harris!

8. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Quick question...

I know the new A.E. comes in a slipcase, but is that pink girly bow and the box with Audrey Hepburn smooching on the front just on the outside or the inner keepcase as well?

I'm just wondering because I'd like to know whether or not to hang onto my existing cover insert. [​IMG]

9. Jay*W

Jay*W Second Unit
    Supporter

Marco,

The picture on the new keepcase differs from the outher slipcase and is shown on the DVD Beaver comparison page.

Jay

10. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks Jay, but the only one I see is the one with the white bow on the front... is that the actual keepcase?

Not a big deal, but again, if it is - I'll want to hang onto my existing cover insert with the original poster art.

11. rich_d

rich_d Cinematographer

Rich
    I agree. Attractively priced around me and a significant upgrade from the prior disc.

Having said that I can't give them too much credit as the difference between releases is not that the current release is so great, it's that the prior release was really bad.

12. Dave GR

Dave GR Stunt Coordinator

The cover is here. Bottom pic is the outer slipcase, top pic is the amaray that fits inside.

13. Mitch Kaufman

O.K., then I guess I'm the only one who prefers the deeper, more saturated colors of the earlier disc, right?

Come out of hiding, my allies!

(Jeez...after that, I hope I have some...) [​IMG]

MK

14. PeterMano

PeterMano Stunt Coordinator

I hope you're kidding. Artificially boosted colors and a ton of noise, no thank you, talk about killing all the detail in the picture.

15. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Wow, what a difference~! With the old color scheme, Ms. Hepburn looked like she got sprayed with the J-Lo Fake-Tan. To my eyes, the new CE looks more like her true skin tone...

16. Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

For those in the NYC Area BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S 50th ANNIVERSARY Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:00 PM Alice Tully Hall, Starr Theater The Film Society of Lincoln Center and Paramount Home Entertainment will host a gala event to celebrate the 50th anniversary of one of the most beloved films in cinematic history: Breakfast At Tiffany’s. A blue carpet will welcome invited guests from the worlds of film, fashion and the arts on September 15, 2011, at Alice Tully Hall at Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts. Based on Truman Capote’s best-selling novella, Breakfast At Tiffany’s captured the imagination of audiences everywhere and made an indelible impact on movies, fashion and society at large. In director Blake Edwards’ cinematic masterpiece, Audrey Hepburn’s intoxicating New York party girl Holly Golightly embarks on a wildly entertaining, comedic adventure to find love in the big city. The unforgettable film will be released for the first time ever in sparkling high definition on Blu-ray Disc on September 20th. http://www.lincolncenter.org/show_events_list.asp?eventcode=33756 Not in the Lincoln Center listing but per the website Broadway world: Julie Andrews to Host Lincoln Center BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S Screening, 9/15 Monday, September 12, 2011; Posted: 06:09 PM - by BWW News Desk Share | Julie-Andrews-to-Host-Lincoln-Center-BREAKFAST-AT-TIFFANYS-Screening-20010101 The Film Society of Lincoln Center, America's ?pre-eminent New York-based non-profit film organization, and Paramount Home Entertainment announced today that they will hold a gala event to celebrate the 50th anniversary of one of the most beloved films in cinematic history: Breakfast At Tiffany's. A blue carpet will welcome invited guests from the worlds of film, fashion and the arts, September 15, 2011, at Alice Tully Hall at Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, where the fully restored film will be screened. Legendary actress Julie Andrews, wife of the late director Blake Edwards, will participate in a Q&A session prior to the screening, which will be conducted by Richard Peña, program director of the Film Society of Lincoln Center. Based on Truman Capote's best-selling novella, Breakfast At Tiffany's captured the imagination of audiences everywhere and made an indelible impact on movies, fashion and society at large. In director Blake Edwards' cinematic masterpiece, Audrey Hepburn's intoxicating New York party girl Holly Golightly embarks on a wildly entertaining, comedic adventure to find love in the big city. The unforgettable film will be released for the first time ever in sparkling high definition on Blu-ray Disc on September 20th. "Easily one of the best-loved American films, Breakfast At Tiffany's captures the spirit and vitality of New York and remains a cultural touchstone," said Peña. "We are delighted to be celebrating its 50th anniversary with Paramount at Alice Tully Hall, which will showcase the film's restoration and allow the audience to experience every delightful moment as if for the first time." Admission is $10 for members or $15 for the general public. Visit www.lincolncenter.org or the Alice Tully Hall Box Office (1941 Broadway - on 65th St between Broadway & Amsterdam), 212.721.6500, for more information. Read more: http://broadwayworld.com/article/Julie-Andrews-to-Host-Lincoln-Center-BREAKFAST-AT-TIFFANYS-Screening-915-20110912#ixzz1XqlW2khH

17. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    Damn. Half tempted.

18. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    D'ya think we'll be getting the other major Audrey Hepburn films on Blu soon? It seems a year hasn't gone by where Paramount hasn't trotted out "Sabrina", "Funny Face", "Roman Holiday" and "Paris When It Sizzles", either individually or in countless box set variations.

19. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough

If they do, I'd rather have War and Peace than Paris When It Sizzles.

20. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    Point taken. I'd probably prefer that too. It's just that "Paris..." seems to be re-issued along with Paramount's other main Audrey titles at any given opportunity.