1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™Tomorrow is Forever -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Dec 31, 2017.

1. 1 Dec 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2018
    Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    A few words about...™Tomorrow is Forever -- in Blu-ray
    [​IMG]

I'll give the privilege to readers of figuring out how the team that created Classic Flix's latest beautiful Blu-ray offering, ended up where it did.

And by that I mean Claudette Colbert, Orson Welles, George Brent, a young Richard Long (debut), and an even younger Natalie Wood, in a film scored by Max Steiner, under the International Pictures moniker.

The film is Miss Wood's first credited appearance, as a tiny blonde girl, with a German accent.

Director, Irving Pichel, began his career as an actor, in 1930, and moved into directing, being attached to some very interesting productions in the 1940s.

His post-WWII production, Tomorrow is Forever, is an interesting, and thought-provoking film, which can get a bit syrupy at times, about war, family and Fate, based upon the novel by Gwen Bristow.

In the hands of Classic Flix, the elements have been treated with great respect, and the resultant Blu-ray appears, and sounds authentic on many levels.

One of the things that I found interesting is the track.

As a bit of tech background, in the optical era, when rolls of track were joined, they generally had a triangular shaped punch through the film, creating a bit of a fade out and in of the two disparate track elements.

And in those days, if you listened carefully, you could hear many of those joins.

Same thing with Tomorrow is Forever, as this bit of analogue authenticity remains, where it would normally be removed during digital track clean-up.

This is nothing negative. It simply is.

Overall, the presentation is superior in all respects. Something that is becoming a presumption for a Classic Flix release.

Image - 4.75

Audio - 4

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Recommended

RAH

Peter Yee, aPhil, LeoA and 2 others like this.
  2. Gary16

Gary16 Supporting Actor

Gary
    Out of respect for the people behind this historic film, perhaps it’s time for the moderator to correct the title of this thread to “King of Jazz” (“The” is not part of the official title).

3. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Methinks you posted this in the wrong thread!

Robin9 likes this.
  4. 4 Dec 31, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    I wasn't familiar with this publisher, but after reading this, I can't wait to get this one and their upcoming releases for Along Came Jones & Casanova Brown.

5. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

I've been very happy with all of the ClassicFlix releases to date. I purchased this one directly from them but haven't watched it yet. I don't recall ever seeing this one and I'm hoping I get pulled into the story and don't even notice the sound drops.

6. rsmithjr

rsmithjr Screenwriter

Robert Smith
    Thanks for the review and comments about the sound.

Somewhere along the line, I developed the ability to watch the film in more than one way at the same time. Hence, I can notice technical issues but not be taken out of the film. [Probably as a projectionist.]

Give it a try, everyone. Given the number of really important films that still have problems, it is valuable.

Thomas T likes this.
  7. ClassicFlix

ClassicFlix Stunt Coordinator

David Kawas
    Thanks for the review Robert.

Regarding the source, because we strive to put out superior and/or much improved releases, we tried all four MGM sources available to us so see if there was something we could work with and had to pass on all four because damage was too severe.

We ended up testing and then using a BFI source which still had its issues, but was better than anything MGM had in their vaults.

For those not familiar with the film, here's a trailer we cut for it:

- David

LeoA likes this.
  8. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    David,

Just please keep doing what you’re doing!

RAH

9. Alberto_D

Alberto_D Stunt Coordinator

5 film elements test until find the best one. Nice perseverance. :thumbs-up-smiley:

I wonder if archives could one day have a updated databank, getting frame samples with digital microscopes, for each reel, in order to make the restorer's work easier.

Just curiosity. For check the resolution of a film element, do it neet to be scanned or shiped, or film foreign archives can take a reell and shot some HD images with a good camera with macro lens or a pocket digital microscope like this ?

10. ClassicFlix

ClassicFlix Stunt Coordinator

David Kawas
    Would be nice, but not likely to be a reality any time soon.

- David