What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™The L-Shaped Room -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The L-Shaped Room, directed by Bryan Forbes, is quintessential English "kitchen sink" cinema, which existed in the early 1960s.

Shot gorgeously in black & white by the great Douglas Slocombe, who we lost last year, at the age of 103. If you've seen The Lavender Hill Mob, The Man in the White Suit, The Lion in Winter, or Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, you'll know his abilities.

Typical, of Blu-rays prepared by Grover Crisp and his team at Columbia, Twilight Time has been able to give us a magnificent master.

Great imagery, with all of the shadow detail and subtle tonalities intact, along with accurate grain structure.

Should be in every serious cinema collection.

While I could be wrong, I believe this may be the film's first appearance on video here the Colonies.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

Last edited by a moderator:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
It's pretty hard to beat that partnership between Grover Crisp and Twilight Time.

Meanwhile, I was not aware of Mr. Slocombe's passing. 103, no less. This and his body of work leads one to take pause.

Last edited:

alstein

Agent
Real Name
Aron
The L-Shaped Room, directed by Bryan Forbes, is quintessential English "kitchen sink" cinema, which existed in the early 1960s.

Shot gorgeously in black & white by the great Douglas Slocombe, who we lost last year, at the age of 103. If you've seen The Lavender Hill Mob, The Man in the White Suit, The Lion in Winter, or Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, you'll know his abilities.

Typical, of Blu-rays prepared by Grover Crisp and his team at Columbia, Twilight Time has been able to give us a magnificent master.

Great imagery, with all of the shadow detail and subtle tonalities intact, along with accurate grain structure.

Should be in every serious cinema collection.

While I could be wrong, I believe this may be the film's first appearance on video here the Colonies.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

Unfortunately, shows as only available as a region 2 release on Amazon,com.

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
Just purchased this title, one of my favs from the early 60s. Ive never seen it before on home video so will be a treat to revisit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks