BARRY RIVADUE
"Dear Customers:

The only thing Arrow and Amazon share is the letter A."

:angry:

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
This has been the most fun I have had acquiring a copy of a release since the Disney Tyn of Dr. Syn.

Just now absorbing the special disc features; appreciate the reversible art. A nice variety of fresh film analysis mini-docs. Still challenged trailer looking better than i have yet seen. Hope Holiday today! Unexpected treat.

Next up...
The feature.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Amazon gave me a $36.15 credit. So with the $5 dollar inconvenience credit they already gave me, The Apartment cost me $11.97 after taxes. From the many posts on that subject, I realize that this release was disappointing to many, purchase-wise. But, at this point, I'm willing to shut up and deal.

I will be watching the film on Thursday with the HTF Connecticut Crew. I'm looking forward to it.

Last edited:

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Finally sat down in comfy chair to view this. As said by many, absolute perfection from a technical viewpoint.

:dance:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Waves from Fairfield, Connecticut.

3fa2ae27318ba54c6dd5bf332fffda73--woman-warrior-military-life.jpg

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I finally got to see this new transfer last night on my big "Panavision" screen thanks to my friend Charles S. who was able to snag one from the U.K. Rich D. was also in attendance. Despite my home phone ringing a few times (Solicitors, naturally) and my barking dogs telling me it was past their supper time, it was a very enjoyable experience.

The source used for this edition, while not 100% pristine (Rich D. noticed a very subtle "glitch" of some kind in the first scene inside of Baxter's apartment, and I noticed a few thin, vertical scratch lines on the right hand side of the frame during the first kitchen scene) is still MUCH improved over the previous Blu-ray which is darker and even a bit "fuzzy" in comparison. Don't let this minor critique dissuade anyone from purchasing this classic.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
My Long National Nightmare is over :dance::rock::banana::dancing-banana-04::drum::cheers: - a copy of the the Arrow Signature Bluray -of Billy Wilder's "The Apartment" with "Selected Writings" has arrived and all is right with the world ...

DRBU_aMWAAAxTZv.jpg

(Note: to those who bought extra copies to put their kids through college an make a fortune on the inter-webs ... the book can double as a door stop ... ;))

quote-goodnight-mrs-calabash-wherever-you-are-jimmy-durante-225626.jpg

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
No doubt Arrow's release of The Apartment is a strong upgrade from the previously released Blu-Ray. However, words posted on this thread like, "absolute perfection" it is not.

1. I'm not a fan of films being released without their original studio banner.
2. I'm not sure why a bit of time (or more time) wasn't put on improving the transfer. For example, there is a large slanted line to the left of the APT 51 at the 00:20 mark of the opening credits (mostly when the Title Credit appears). I'm not sure how 30 seconds of post-editing could not have easily solved this. Additionally, as Reed mentioned there is a vertical line, scratches and junk in the first kitchen scene (8:09) much of it under the hanging skillet. The point is not to go scene by scene and do a post-mortem, the point is that these things were noticed upon first viewing. My point is that 100% of what we noticed could have been corrected by a first-rate post-scan editor in a day, with taking a long lunch.
3. 3:28 - As Sylvia enters the scene you can see shifting frames, most likely caused by a scanning problem of the original negative. Another poster in this thread alluded to (possibly) additional scanning problems, but didn't document them. Why Arrow didn't correct this is disappointing to ponder, but more disappointing in the result.

Those that have purchased this title, don't be glum. This release is a substantial improvement upon the last Blu-Ray release. However, in the parlance of our time ... it is what it is.

Rich D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
No doubt Arrow's release of The Apartment is a strong upgrade from the previously released Blu-Ray. However, words posted on this thread like, "absolute perfection" it is not.

Those that have purchased this title, don't be glum. This release is a substantial improvement upon the last Blu-Ray release. However, in the parlance of our time ... it is what it is.

Rich D
Yeah, "absolute perfection".;)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

1. I'm not a fan of films being released without their original studio banner.
2. I'm not sure why a bit of time (or more time) wasn't put on improving the transfer. For example, there is a large slanted line to the left of the APT 51 at the 00:20 mark of the opening credits (mostly when the Title Credit appears). I'm not sure how 30 seconds of post-editing could not have easily solved this. Additionally, as Reed mentioned there is a vertical line, scratches and junk in the first kitchen scene (8:09) much of it under the hanging skillet. The point is not to go scene by scene and do a post-mortem, the point is that these things were noticed upon first viewing. My point is that 100% of what we noticed could have been corrected by a first-rate post-scan editor in a day, with taking a long lunch.
3. 3:28 - As Sylvia enters the scene you can see shifting frames, most likely caused by a scanning problem of the original negative. Another poster in this thread alluded to (possibly) additional scanning problems, but didn't document them. Why Arrow didn't correct this is disappointing to ponder, but more disappointing in the result.

Rich D

Arrow took this release further than most licensees with limited rights would. More work would necessitate a wider license toward recoupment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks