What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Husbands and Wives (1992), was Mr. Allen's 167th film, and fits in his CV between Shadows and Fog and Manhattan Murder Mystery, and belongs within the group of films from his Columbia / Tri-Star period.

Similar to another Allen film, it involves analysis, dating, breaking up, dating and breaking up.

I'd rank it among his best 20 films.

Because it's a Columbia / Sony release, you should be aware, in advance, that Twilight Time's new Blu-ray is absolutely perfect, with a superb sheen of grain, and an un-inprovable image quality.

It should be in any serious cinema library, along with the 29 or so other Blu-rays. That leaves 130 or thereabouts yet to come.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Absolutely

Highly Recommended

RAH

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
His last masterpiece. This bodes well for Manhattan Murder Mystery, released today.

Alberto_D

BANNED
The first time I watched Zelig I didn't got the beginning, I was just changing the channels of TV, and let there thinking it was a a true documentary. Until I started to find out it really strange and thought : "Hey... wait a second... " Then I realize it was Woody Allen. I was a teen with very few knowledge about Woody Allen back then.

It was a photochemical version of Forrest Gump.

I liked both and have them in my movie collection.

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
If psychoanalysis / psychotherapy wasn't a nearly hoax or a pseudo-science, we would not have Wood Allen.

Am I the only one who liked The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985) and Zelig (1983) ?

No.

Reactions: PMF

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Do a search of my reviews for both Blu-ray releases. I gave both films very positive reviews. The Purple Rose of Cairo is one of his very, very best.
I agree. I have loved it since it was first released. A loving tribute to Sherlock Jr. as well.

Alberto_D

BANNED
Would he say can't attend because of having a jazz performance with his band at the same night?

I recommend everyone to watch Wild Man Blues (1997)

No surprise if he says he is a jazz musician that shoot films as a hobby.

Did Woody do 167 films? I wish the AFI would select him for a Life Achievement Award for which he deserves.

Last edited:

Alberto_D

BANNED
How Keaton did this effect ???
Looks so natural...

I agree. I have loved it since it was first released. A loving tribute to Sherlock Jr. as well.

Nice to know. But Top Tens around web don't gave recognition to these titles, and most TV schedules rarelly care.

Do a search of my reviews for both Blu-ray releases. I gave both films very positive reviews. The Purple Rose of Cairo is one of his very, very best.

I see this forum have better taste than TV.

I liked both and have them in my movie collection.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Would he say can't attend because of having a jazz performance with his band at the same night?

I recommend everyone to watch Wild Man Blues (1997)

No surprise if he says he is a jazz musician that shoot films as a hobby.
Wild Man Blues is a good documentary by the great Barbara Kopple and have the rare dvd in my collection.

CarlLaFong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Wheeler
Mr. Harris, thank you so much for your reviews! I always find them informative and entertaining. The second sentence of this one particularly cracked me up!

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
Did Woody do 167 films? I wish the AFI would select him for a Life Achievement Award for which he deserves.
I thought I responded to this a few days ago, but I don't see it. By my count, he directed 49, including the one scheduled for release this year and he's appeared in 48 films, not including films or documentaries in which he played himself.

Loved them both and thought they were among his best films along with Husbands and Wives. Everyone will have their favorites, but for me it's those three along with Bananas, Sleeper, Annie Hall, Manhattan, A Midsummer's Night Sex Comedy (which a lot of people didn't think was good, but I loved it because I saw it as being about the invention of movies), Hannah and Her Sisters, Radio Days and Midnight In Paris at the top of the list. I think Radio Days was his sweetest and most psychologically "normal" film.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I'm not even sure why this question was asked. It's off-topic and I don't see that anyone intimated anything about those particular films (especially nothing negative).

Of course, both of those films have their fans.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched Husbands and Wives tonight. RAH is right about the transfer, gorgeously saturated and perfectly clean. A very warm transfer, too. I hadn't watched the film in quite a few years, and it was so wonderful familiarizing myself with it again.

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks