What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Although historically, not totally factual, I cannot imagine even the most ardent history buffs not taking a liking to Joe Wright's take on the early days of Sir Winston Churchill's role as British Prime Minister during the early days of WWII.

Gary Oldman's performance is mesmerizing, and the film, as a whole, is a superior entertainment.

Universal's Blu-ray, presumably based upon the 2k data files is perfect in every regard, as it should be.

Dolby Atmos rounds out the presentation nicely.

One of the finest films of 2017.

For those who may not have read his tomes on the Second World War, Sir Winston's works are highly suggested.

Up-rezzed, in projection to 4k, imagery holds up nicely. No reason for a 4k disc, as even in an uprez, Mr. Oldman's makeup begins to show its seams in some closeups.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Not to be grammatically picky, Mr. Harris, but I think you meant to write "I cannot imagine even the most ardent history buffs NOT taking a liking to Joe Wright's take on...Sir Winston Churchill" for the way the opening paragraph reads now is that history buffs will not like the film, and I believe you meant the opposite. As Daffy Duck says in Chuck Jones' AUTUMN FIRE, "Pronoun trouble."

By the way, John Lithgow was on the Stephen Colbert show a few weeks ago--Mr. Lithgow was nominated for a Golden Globe for playing Winston Churchill in THE CROWN--talking about how Gary Oldman refers to him as "Churchill 54" and himself as "Churchill 41". It all sounds suspiciously like wine vintages.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I thought this film was terrific and deserving of all it’s Oscar nominations and it’s inevitable win for Gary Oldman as Best Actor. A tremendously entertaining film.

But not surprisingly there are some here who hated the film.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Not to be grammatically picky, Mr. Harris, but I think you meant to write "I cannot imagine even the most ardent history buffs NOT taking a liking to Joe Wright's take on...Sir Winston Churchill" for the way the opening paragraph reads now is that history buffs will not like the film, and I believe you meant the opposite. As Daffy Duck says in Chuck Jones' AUTUMN FIRE, "Pronoun trouble."

By the way, John Lithgow was on the Stephen Colbert show a few weeks ago--Mr. Lithgow was nominated for a Golden Globe for playing Winston Churchill in THE CROWN--talking about how Gary Oldman refers to him as "Churchill 54" and himself as "Churchill 41". It all sounds suspiciously like wine vintages.

Corrected.

Thank you.

Understand that I grew up the grandchild of indigent farmers, spending my days harvesting sugar cane.

Homeschooled, along with my seven siblings.

Then I moved, and got a job cleaning cutting rooms, until the war broke out...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I didn’t dislike the movie or Oldman but I didn’t love Oldman’s choice to sound like Droopy Dog. Is the what Churchill sounded like?
Well I guess that doesn’t matter seems everyone thinks he is going to win.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I didn’t dislike the movie or Oldman but I didn’t love Oldman’s choice to sound like Droopy Dog. Is the what Churchill sounded like?
Well I guess that doesn’t matter seems everyone thinks he is going to win.
Pretty much so!

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
A double-bill of Darkest Hour with Dunkirk - which should go first?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
No, it should clearly be "Darkest Hour" and then "Dunkirk". "DH" ends right about where "Dunkirk" begins - why would you watch "Dunkirk" first?

I guess mainly because that was the order I saw them in and I sort of liked the way Dunkirk is a more pure cinematic experience and Darkest Hour is more of a traditional story that features a great part for an actor and centers around him. If it is linear story you want then I agree that makes sense to watch Darkest Hour then Dunkirk but I think I enjoy more watching Dunkirk and then seeing this dramatic telling of what led up to it.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
In retrospect maybe Droopy Dog was based on WC
On the Stephen Colbert show, John Lithgow (who played Winston Churchill in THE CROWN) said that Churchill had the strangest, most eccentric manner of speaking English that he had ever heard, which was completely atypical for a "British accent". Then he began speaking like Churchill, and it sounded like Droopy Dog with a sore throat trying to imitate a frog.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Just saw this film in the theater last week. Been trying to see it since it was released in limited engagement form back in November. The wait was so worth it. Absolutely loved it. As others have said, this makes a great companion piece to Dunkirk.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray

Corrected.

Thank you.

Understand that I grew up the grandchild of indigent farmers, spending my days harvesting sugar cane.

Homeschooled, along with my seven siblings.

Then I moved, and got a job cleaning cutting rooms, until the war broke out...

Personally, pronoun trouble is something up with which I will not put either!!!!!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Watch the mediocre film first (Darkest Hour); then the masterpiece (Dunkirk). It's like a choice between masturbation or making love with your significant other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks