What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Z -- in SD DVD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
When I first saw Costa-Gavras' monumental political thriller, Z, in the winter of 1969, I was totally unprepared for the physically dynamic reaction that the film would receive from the audience -- an audience that, as they were still in the theater with end credits rolling, was fully prepared to launch a pre-emptive strike on any governmental or political organization that seemed to be responsible for similar foul play.

Z is brilliant filmmaking of the highest order, and I was thrilled that it would finally receive the Criterion treatment after a less than acceptable release on DVD by another firm.

To put it bluntly, I love this film!

But somewhere between the HD transfer supervised by cinematographer Raoul Coutard at Eclair in France and the standard definition DVD as released, something has gone awry. I would bet that Mr. Coutard approved the HD transfer and never saw anything derived from it.

In a very un-Criterion release, Z is picked up the old digital "force field" effect seen in releases such as Cold Mountain and Gangs of New York, both of which I believe came from Laser Pacific in LA. A perusal of the credits does not show Laser as having anything to do with this. I should make the point that the "field force" here is far from that of CM or GoNY, is merely annoying and in no way even close to those horrific interpretations of the films.

So where did the problems come into play?

Compression? Digital clean-up of certain scenes?

I can't be certain, as the problem seems to come and go, almost as if someone attempted to affect or fix certain shots or sequences, while possibly not touching, or at least using a more delicate hand on others.

To my eye, Z verges on unpleasant, as the "force fields" have a tendency, at least on a large screen, to take the viewer out of one of the most intense and immersive experiences ever brought to the cinema.

I'd love to be able to see this film on Blu-ray, which hopefully would have none of the SD problems. As it is, I'm not a happy camper.

Properly set by Criterion at a 1.66:1 aspect ratio, and with all of the typical Criterion goodies, Z should have been a splendid release. As it is, while I can give my highest recommendation to the film, I find the quality of this DVD limited to viewing at 50 inches or less. If that's the size of your monitor, you should have no problems. And understand that going in, you're in for one of the most intense cinematic experiences of a lifetime.

RAH

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm sure the title of your thread is in error since this isn't being released in Blu-ray (and you posted it to the DVD forum and make mention of how it might look in Blu-ray). I'm sure an administrator can correct this for you.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by MattH.

I'm sure the title of your thread is in error since this isn't being released in Blu-ray (and you posted it to the DVD forum and make mention of how it might look in Blu-ray). I'm sure an administrator can correct this for you.
thank you. The trials and tribulations of doing far too few SDs, and cut and paste.

RAH

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Thanks for the warning. I'll wait for a release on either standard definition or high definition which gets everything right. Z deserves the best presentation possible.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I don't want to get on Criterion's case, but this is a missed opportunity. This is a prestigious film that shouldn't be difficult to market on both formats. While the hour of interviews are good, it seems like they should have gone on a second disc to allow for the film itself to have more room. I would have pre-ordered on day one had this a BluRay edition.

100% worth a rental, though, for being an A+ work of cinema.

At least Criterion has hinted at an eventual Blu release next year, which I'll wait patiently for.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Patrick McCart
At least Criterion has hinted at an eventual Blu release next year, which I'll wait patiently for.
They've done no such thing. They said that if they did an eventual Blu upgrade that it would be at least a year. That could mean 1 year or 15.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks