What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ You Only Live Once & T-Men -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I've combined my words regarding You Only Live Once and T-Men.

Not because they are innately related as films, but rather, that they've been released by a new company, that especially for an indie outfit, is pulling out all the stops to create a superior product.

Classic Flix is an outfit out of California, which at least with these productions, has licensed the IP from Shout Factory.

They have my attention for one simple reason.

Quality.

They've accessed an element for YOLO from the BFI. Not certain where T-Men elements come from, but the overriding factor with that film is John Alton's cinematography, and here it's represented in spades, with rich black and deep shadows.

Not to be outdone, but in a different vein, YOLO was shot by Leon Shamroy.

T-Men, directed by Anthony Mann, and released in 1947, was in many ways the film that started his serious career, after six years in the business. It's a hard-hitting drama/docu-drama that (with the exception of the narration) nicely stands the test of time.

YOLO, directed by Fritz Lange, and release a decade earlier, was Mr. Lang's second American production, after Fury, another wonderful film, headlining Spencer Tracy.

Not only is the home video business a dangerous place to invest these days, but for a start-up to try to select interesting independent productions, handle them properly, from a tech perspective, and then market them...

Let's just say they not only have my respect, as their final products are superb, but they need to be supported by the home theater fans, so that they have a chance to grow.

Both films, are glorious black & white productions, with highly resolved images, based upon the methodology of shooting, with rich blacks, shadow details where necessary (and available)...

They've been cleaned up beautifully, without a loss of grain, and tracks are crisp and clear.

I'd be shirking my responsibilities, if I didn't make note of Dennis O'Keefe, the lead in T-Men.

Between 1930 and 1964, he appeared in over 160 films, usually (early on) without billing, in some terrific productions. By the late '30s he was receiving credit in numerous B productions, finally coming to the fore with roles in Topper Returns (1941), Hangmen Also Die! (1943), the Lewton / Tourneur class The Leopard Man (1943), The Story of Dr. Wassell (1944), T-Men (1947), among others.

I bring this up, as I was introduced to him around 1961, and fortunately, I had Dr. Wassel under my belt - I'd seen it numerous times - along with The Leppard Man, and was able to carry on a respectful conversation, and not embarrass myself.

What I learned, was that he was very much the working actor, as opposed to the star, and a true gentlemen - especially dealing with a kid.

Bottom line, Classic Flix is a welcome class act.

Please add their titles to your collections, help them to grow, and allow them to bring us more wonderful indie films.

Image - 4.25

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 4.5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I highly recommend both Blu-rays to fans of these fine films. I watched T-Men on TCM just months ago and recently watched the Blu-ray, it was like night and day differences. I have never seen a better looking video presentation of either film.

old mole

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George
I've combined my words regarding You Only Live Once and T-Men.

Not because they are innately related as films, but rather, that they've been released by a new company, that especially for an indie outfit, is pulling out all the stops to create a superior product.

Classic Flix is an outfit out of California, which at least with these productions, has licensed the IP from Shout Factory.

They have my attention for one simple reason.

Quality.

They've accessed an element for YOLO from the BFI. Not certain where T-Men elements come from, but the overriding factor with that film is John Alton's cinematography, and here it's represented in spades, with rich black and deep shadows.

Not to be outdone, but in a different vein, YOLO was shot by Leon Shamroy.

T-Men, directed by Anthony Mann, and released in 1947, was in many ways the film that started his serious career, after six years in the business. It's a hard-hitting drama/docu-drama that (with the exception of the narration) nicely stands the test of time.

YOLO, directed by Fritz Lange, and release a decade earlier, was Mr. Lang's second American production, after Fury, another wonderful film, headlining Spencer Tracy.

Not only is the home video business a dangerous place to invest these days, but for a start-up to try to select interesting independent productions, handle them properly, from a tech perspective, and then market them...

Let's just say they not only have my respect, as their final products are superb, but they need to be supported by the home theater fans, so that they have a chance to grow.

Both films, are glorious black & white productions, with highly resolved images, based upon the methodology of shooting, with rich blacks, shadow details where necessary (and available)...

They've been cleaned up beautifully, without a loss of grain, and tracks are crisp and clear.

I'd be shirking my responsibilities, if I didn't make note of Dennis O'Keefe, the lead in T-Men.

Between 1930 and 1964, he appeared in over 160 films, usually (early on) without billing, in some terrific productions. By the late '30s he was receiving credit in numerous B productions, finally coming to the fore with roles in Topper Returns (1941), Hangmen Also Die! (1943), the Lewton / Tourneur class The Leopard Man (1943), The Story of Dr. Wassell (1944), T-Men (1947), among others.

I bring this up, as I was introduced to him around 1961, and fortunately, I had Dr. Wassel under my belt - I'd seen it numerous times - along with The Leppard Man, and was able to carry on a respectful conversation, and not embarrass myself.

What I learned, was that he was very much the working actor, as opposed to the star, and a true gentlemen - especially dealing with a kid.

Bottom line, Classic Flix is a welcome class act.

Please add their titles to your collections, help them to grow, and allow them to bring us more wonderful indie films.

Image - 4.25

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 4.5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David

Thank you for the fantastic "few words" Robert!

I pasted the above quote to corroborate your sentiments. I understand that some are unfamiliar with our label, and others may balk at the higher price points, but as founder of ClassicFlix and producer of these releases, I can verify that being a home video label whose goal is to bring high quality releases of classic cinema to market is indeed a dangerous place to be and it does/will take the support of classic film fans for us so keep up with this level of quality and to grow.

So thanks again and thanks to all who have purchased our releases and support what we're doing.

David Kawas

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've purchased every title that ClassicFlix has released (the last few directly from them so they get the entire funds from the purchases) and will continue to do so for as long as they keep releasing superb products.

I cannot wait to get one of my favorite films in my hands, He Walked by Night in just a little over a week. I have no doubt it will look terrific.

Kudo's to David and his team!

Real Name
Jeremy
I will also be looking forward to "He Walked by Night." After seeing these great reviews about ClassicFlix, I'll make that my first purchase, and maybe blind buy one of these two - probably the one with Claire Trevor!

By the way, it doesn't look like ClassicFlix has a Wikipedia page yet. Maybe someone with a few minutes can add them to the sum of all human knowledge - and maybe include one of those nifty sortable tables of releases like the pages for Twilight Time and some of the other labels have.

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
I will also be looking forward to "He Walked by Night." After seeing these great reviews about ClassicFlix, I'll make that my first purchase, and maybe blind buy one of these two - probably the one with Claire Trevor!

By the way, it doesn't look like ClassicFlix has a Wikipedia page yet. Maybe someone with a few minutes can add them to the sum of all human knowledge - and maybe include one of those nifty sortable tables of releases like the pages for Twilight Time and some of the other labels have.

You'll want to get T-Men Pismo. HWBN looks beautiful and will never look better as we used the best material available for it (MGM's Fine Grain), but T-Men (and RAW DEAL which is coming up), had better source material and are truly like seeing them for the first time.

Thanks also for the Wiki mention. Making the pages stick can be tough as we've tried in the past, but we'll make another go at it.

David

Real Name
Jeremy
You'll want to get T-Men Pismo. HWBN looks beautiful and will never look better as we used the best material available for it (MGM's Fine Grain), but T-Men (and RAW DEAL which is coming up), had better source material and are truly like seeing them for the first time.

You're very persuasive, David!

Thanks also for the Wiki mention. Making the pages stick can be tough as we've tried in the past, but we'll make another go at it.

It can be tricky. If they detect any self-promotion the page will be deleted quickly. A neutral tone and facts from multiple sources that aren't the company itself will help it stick.

Arbelos

Auditioning
Real Name
Craig Rogers
Their restoration of THE NOOSE HANGS HIGH is the best the film has looked since 1948!

This thread caught my eye as I handled the picture restoration on both YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE and THE NOOSE HANGS HIGH. Reading such praise from you all makes my day. I'm looking forward to working with David and ClassicFlix again soon.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
This thread caught my eye as I handled the picture restoration on both YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE and THE NOOSE HANGS HIGH. Reading such praise from you all makes my day. I'm looking forward to working with David and ClassicFlix again soon.
Long may your praiseworthy work reign!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks