What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ You Can't Take it With You -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

There are far too many situations in which the word "restoration" is used in the same sentence with "film."

I'd go so far as to say that the majority that appear these days are manufactured in the publicity departments, and not in the post houses.

Not so with Columbia Pictures, and their beautiful new restoration of Frank Capra's 1938, You Can't Take it With You.

When you purchase your copy of the new Blu-ray, you'll receive as a part of the book-like packaging, an explanation of the situation by Columbia's Grover Crisp.

It all boils down to this.

Far too many prints were struck from cameras negatives during the the 1920s through 1950s, and consequently those original negatives, when they survive, are in less than stellar condition.

For many years YCTiWY appeared to have been taken, at least partially, from 16mm elements, especially for non-theatrical prints.  

The original negative was presumed destroyed before 1950, with the finest presumed surviving element, a third generation nitrate dupe neg.  Even that dupe had replacement sections cut in c. 1951 on safety stock.

An original 1939 print, struck from the dupe before the replacements were added, was discovered, and turned over to Columbia for future restorative efforts.

Two source elements were used for the restoration, which involved both image and audio.

Best to read the entire explanation, when you receive your disc, but suffice to say, this is the real thing.

Another, even more dire situation will be discussed for another real restoration, The Apu Trilogy, in a future Few Words.

Bottom line, it's wonderful to finally get to see YCTiWY in near prime condition.

Since the image comes from third and fourth generation elements, there is a bit of build-up in the blacks, affecting shadow detail, but it's not an extremely problematic situation.

Resolution holds true to the source, and audio is the best I've ever heard.

For those who may be discovering Mr. Capra's work for the first time, or only know of him from that Christmas picture, time to get involved.

While many American directors are respected for work, I can't think of another for whom the term "beloved" fits the bill.

A great classic comedy, finally available in quality befitting the subject, and at a street price of $15, a steal.

This appears to be the second release, in what will hopefully become a full-blown Capra Collection making its way from Columbia, as the films can be properly restored in 4k.  I'm thrilled to have them appear slowly, one at a time, and as pristine as possible.

Image - 4

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 4.5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched this disc a week or so ago and I have to agree that at $15.00, it's a real bargain. I too have never seen this film looking so good before.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Saw the film for the first time when it was broadcast on TCM last year and liked it very much with great performances by James Stewart, Jean Arthur, Lional Barrymore, and one of my favorite actors Edward Arnold. At $15 a great deal and a easy buy for this Oscar winner for best picture. Like to see Lost Horizon released on blu-ray release soon.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I asked Santa for this movie and sure enough it was under the tree yesterday. I'll be watching this soon. Thanks to RAH for the positive comments and thanks to Mr. Crisp and team for bringing to market.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Steve...O said:
I asked Santa for this movie and sure enough it was under the tree yesterday. I'll be watching this soon. Thanks to RAH for the positive comments and thanks to Mr. Crisp and team for bringing to market.
Santa must've ordered in bulk - I got one too!

The Film Forum in NYC premiered a lot of these Sony Capra restorations in 2014, but I only was able to see Lost Horizon. With the restoration work apparently complete, I hope they keep putting out these discs!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Josh Steinberg said:
With the restoration work apparently complete, I hope they keep putting out these discs!

I suspect they will if these releases sell. I certainly have bought every one (well, I got a review copy of It Happened One Night on Criterion, but I've bought Mr Smith and this one.)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
What a wonderful film.

Charming, whimsical, and with all the soothing wisdoms for living ones life creatively and with love.

Today's world could surely use a dose of this film ASAP; and easily leave with a smile upon their faces.

As for the restoration. I loved and fully embraced it, as well.

Under the circumstances of the films condition; and within today's expectations for obtaining perfect pictures and sounds; I felt that Mr. Crisp displayed a tremendous amount of courage and honesty by releasing this gem in its best possible state with the inclusion of his instructive and diagnostic notes. Concise, historical and altogether realistic towards the uninitiated consumer; and all without being apologetic. None needed.

I wish all BD releases that came fresh from a restoration would include these forms of notes; as it only serves to help the populace further appreciate and understand just how fragile our films have become; and just how lucky we are to have any of them, at all. Never a rusty pad-locked barnyard door shall look the same to me, again.

Looking forward to the next Capra/Crisp collaboration. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I was a little worried I wouldn't like this film.

Ended up completely loving it.

And, yes, it's a miraculous restoration. Why wouldn't Mr. Crisp be responsible for something this beautiful?

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
Watched this on DVD from the Capra Collection for the first time, I was disappointed in the audio more than the video. Looks like I will be picking up the BR for sure. Thanks for the a few words Robert.

Reactions: PMF

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
This was Amazon's Deal of the Day on Wednesday and I was able to score one for $9.99. I'm a sucker for Capra (or Capra-esque) films, so I'm really looking forward to seeing it!

Thanks for the few words, Robert!

Mark

P

Patrick Donahue

A new version is being released in March in a regular Blu case, if that's important to anyone...

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
...and audio is the best I've ever heard.
I was so impressed by the audio, as well.
And we're talking about sources from 1938 that went through Hell.
BTW, "You Can't Take It With You" received an Oscar nomination for Sound.
Try to go back in time and one will fully appreciate and understand just exactly why.
So much potential noise and clutter was isolated and clarified.
I suspect some 1938 pioneering going on, here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks