What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Year of the Comet -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Year of the Comet concerns the antics surrounding the discovery of a huge bottle of wine, apparently from Napoleon's cellar, and a multitude of secondary plots that surround it.

By the numbers, alone, and by that I mean looking at the credits, this should be an extraordinary film.

Directed by Peter Yates (Bullitt), a screenplay by William Goldman (Butch Cassidy, Princess Bride), and with a talented, young Penelope Ann Miller in the lead, as the innocent daughter of a major London wine merchant, heading out on her first lone inventory.

But while the screenplay seems to begin with an interesting set-up, the characters never seem to take hold, and even Ms Miller seems as if she's in her first role, with an inexperienced director. Even effects shots appear as if they'd been created a decade earlier.

Odd.

The Blu-ray from Twilight Time is nicely rendered, with a bit of occasional minus density, but is otherwise fine.

Louis Jordan, in his final role, appears to have a bit too much bottle age, although it works for his character.

I very much wanted to like this film.

Excellent Blu-ray release of a film that never seems to properly take off.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 4.75

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

Reactions: PMF

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
I believe this was William Goldman's last original screenplay to be produced. He had high hopes for it. It's lays on the screen flat as a pancake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks