A Few Words About A few words about...™ Wreck-it Ralph 3D -- in Blu-ray

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I should have known better. Wreck-it Ralph sounded like another one of those throw-away 3D films for kids. Create it on a computer at 480i. Up-rez it to Super Imax 70, and charge $25 a ticket for kids. Adults get free admission. I put off seeing this. And I was wrong. One should never presume, especially in 2012, that the Disney organization, the only studio to be doing this, and doing it well for going on 90+ years, would do something today that wasn't a highly creative, quality film. Wreck-it Ralph 3D -- yes, it actually works in 3D -- is a terrific filmed digitally produced entertainment from Disney. I'd probably say something nice about the director here, but there's no credit block on the Blu-ray, so I presume they hired someone in witness protection. I'm not going to mess with those guys. What I discovered is a film with great characters, wonderful audio (DTS-HD MA 7.1), and a fun storyline that's great for kids, and actually a pleasure for adults. Love the computer graphics, and the low-bit look from the '70s vs. what we might consider to be live current computer generated characters. I'm not giving away any of the pleasure to be experience here. Superb film. Great Blu-ray Experience, especially in 3D. Highly Recommended. RAH

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
RAH, Well said. Glad you did not hesitate further to watch this. The most fun I have had with a 3D film in a long time. The top pick on my Top 22 List.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein
RAH,
Well said. Glad you did not hesitate further to watch this.
The most fun I have had with a 3D film in a long time. The top pick on my Top 22 List.
Disney seems to be at the top of their game.
No princesses.
No mermaids.
No fairy godmothers.
Just a great deal of fun, and probably more attuned to a slightly older audience then kids, for specific character recognition. Rather like Mad World, but for late teens.
And a far better date movie than Amour, which is a superb film.
Just not a date movie.
RAH

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I think RAH meant a conventional Disney princess. I made this same argument at lunch today that, in 2012, Disney made a Pixar movie (Wreck-It Ralph) and Pixar made a Disney movie (Brave). And Disney came out ahead in the equation.

Ejanss

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Jason_V said:
I think RAH meant a conventional Disney princess.
Ah, one who doesn't have her enemies executed. :D
I made this same argument at lunch today that, in 2012, Disney made a Pixar movie (Wreck-It Ralph) and Pixar made a Disney movie (Brave).  And Disney came out ahead in the equation.
Probably because Ralph, being a "clean-up" of earlier projects, had the same Lasseter Treatment as other troubled cleanups Meet the Robinsons and Bolt--ie. adding as many last-minute crises, climaxes, and sentimental character-redemption subplots to the previous thin abandoned storyboards, The Way They Do It At Pixar--while Brave had Brenda Chapman wayyy too close to her own material, trying to go solo on a personal vanity project, and finding out that Pixar Doesn't Do Solo or Vanity. So it wasn't just that Ralph succeeded, it was that Disney remembered what Pixar forgot that year.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Ejanss
Ah, one who doesn't have her enemies executed.
Which Disney princesses have their enemies executed? The evil queen in Snow White attacked her and the dwarfs wanted "revenge." Cinderella didn't have anyone die. Gaston brought it all on himself by going after the Beast. Ursula was dominating the seas. I really don't wanna go through the entire Disney canon...

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
l3randon39