What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Woman of the Year -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As part of their on-going license agreement with Warner Bros., Criterion has given us George Steven's Woman of the Year, written by Ring Lardner, Jr. and Michael Kanin.

I cannot imagine anyone viewing the first five minutes of this film, and not falling in love with it. The hat at the baseball game routine, almost rings in as something out of Abbott and Costello.

The 1942 M-G-M production was the first of what would be nine films with Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn, over a twenty-five year period, ending with Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, which was unfortunately, Mr. Tracy's final appearance.

The film is a must-own, but I'll not pander to collector sensibilities here.

Let's talk dollars.

The film, which arrives next week, is currently priced at $26 on Amazon, but let's break it down a bit, with a quick look at the extras.

A Filmmaker's Journey, the 122-minute documentary about the career of Mr. Stevens, can be had for $7 on DVD. Either re-scanned or up-rezzed to HD (I didn't take note) it's an extraordinary document on one of the greatest directors of his, or any, era.

The Spencer Tracy Legacy: A Tribute to Katharine Hepburn, another documentary at 86-minutes, can be had for $6 on DVD.

Add to that a number of interviews that money can't buy, and you'll find that the final cost of the new release is probably under $10.

For a Criterion release.

As to quality. It's all there. Gorgeous imagery, as scanned in 2k from a fine grain master, and a crisp, clean track.

The only caveat here, and it's hardly noticeable is that the final digital restoration could have used just a bit more hand-holding, in the form of scratch removal. Not a big deal, but we just miss perfection here.

Image - 4.75

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 4.75

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Long awaited. The credits represent a near mind-boggling presence of both the collective and the individual in terms of serious, serious Hollywood film history and artists; and all the more amazing, as it's such a wonderfully light, witty and stylish comedy.
In case there's anyone left who doesn't know this, "Woman of the Year" is a classis fare. Must Own.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
It doesn't change my purchase, whatsoever; but have the cited documentaries been transfered to BD?
"A Filmmakers Journey" is one that I first bought individually on DVD. Viewing of this piece is not a one-time deal. I've returned to it at least once every two years, of the decade plus years I've owned it. It's worth the price of admission alone.
And now, "The Spencer Tracy Legacy: A Tribute to Katharine Hepburn", which will be a first-tiem viewing.
Thanks Criterion !!!:)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It may not be the original poster, but you gotta love the cover art for this release. Of course criterion is known for great, original cover art.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I love love love Kapralik's artwork. I know he worked up through the 1950's but his work is so perfectly evocative of 1940's MGM. The stuff is so much fun!

kap0kcmfvqc.jpg
kap2d38ee4a9865260348a49ff433ccbb7d.jpg

Attachments

• kap9277083322.jpg
    kap9277083322.jpg
    455.7 KB · Views: 171
  • kap281txkvo.jpg
    kap281txkvo.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 177

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Amazon is now selling this title for $18.96 which is a lower price point than even Barnes & Noble's Criterion sales.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Amazon is now selling this title for $18.96 which is a lower price point than even Barnes & Noble's Criterion sales.

I got it yesterday for about 40 cents more. That's a good deal, esp. since it has two full-length documentaries on it.

The ending of this one always bothered me, but otherwise I really like the film. I assume the original ending is lost?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks