What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Wild Bill -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
When I initially received Wild Bill, a new Twilight Times release on Blu-ray, I though it might be a new documentary on William Wellman.

Turned out to be the 1995 Walter Hill film, which I would presume is based more upon legend and new storytelling than reality.

Regardless, it's a typical, wonderful, typically testosterone-filled production from Mr. Hill, and a lovely Blu-ray release.

While I'd not call the film "fun," it's filled with atmosphere, is beautifully photographed by Lloyd Ahern, and has some quality performances.

The master supplied by MGM, acquits the film nicely, allow with an appropriately room-filling DTS-HD MA 5.1 track.

An inventive, well-honed production for lovers of the western genre, of which I am one.

Image - 4.75

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade - Yes!

Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
Your first sentence is the best laugh I have had all week. I am hoping that documentary is well on it's way,as it will definitely be a blind buy.
Best
Greg

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I like the review, but did not enjoy the film. Was a big disappointment to me, but hey, that's just me.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm absolutely delighted to get my copy today; a wonderful film, a dry-run (not that dry...) by the inestimable Walter Hill for the superlative and rightly much-lauded Deadwood. I am totally befuddled by the general lack of admiration for this thoughtful, wonderfully acted (by a cast to die for), brilliantly written and beautifully shot western. The standard of the transfer, and the master from which it hails, far exceeds my expectations.

In short, Christmas come early. Thank you Twilight Time - another home run.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I like the review, but did not enjoy the film. Was a big disappointment to me, but hey, that's just me.
That's was my reaction to this film too when I first saw it on Laserdisc. Thought it boring and lacking. This was the only western of the 90's western revival that I did not like. I liked Dances with Wolves, Unforgiven, Tombstone, the underrated Geronimo and the underrated Wyatt Earp. I even enjoyed the lesser ones: Bad Girls and The Quick and the Dead but did not care for Wild Bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks