What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Whip It -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Whip It, from Fox, is not a film that one might think of as having been directed by the likes of Brooks, Zinnemann, Lean, or even the ever-comedic Murnau. But as the initial entrance of a directorial toe into the filmmaking waters by Drew Barrymore (you'll remember her as the little girl in Altered Stated), it works. Filled with both youthful enthusiasm and enough cinematic cliches to fill a textbook, the film comes off as a nice ride following Ellen Page (you loved her as the sweet young thing in the indie Hard Candy) as she grows and rebels against her over-controlling mother, and sets her own course.

You won't find a great deal of scripted depth of character here, but Page makes the character reasonably believable. I kept thinking that she must have served as a good and willing canvas for Barrymore's initial effort.

Is this earth-shakingly great filmmaking? Not particularly.

Is it a fun way to spend a couple of hours? I thought so.

In the end, I found myself rooting for Ms. Barrymore to succeed. As a debut film, while Whip it is neither the Sex, Lies and Videotape of Steven Soderbergh, nor the Citizen Kane of Orson Welles, it is a fun and viable piece of filmmaking. With a better script, allowing her characters more depth in future projects, I have high hopes and look forward to her future work.

As a Blu-ray disc, Whip It does everything that one would expect from a current release. With quality image and uncompressed audio, Fox's Whip It is worth a rental.

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
RAH,

Thanks for your comments. As I'll buy this disc once the price drops a litttle. The film was one of my favorite films of 2009. Also, check your PM.

Crawdaddy

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Drew Barrymore was in town promoting this film when it was in the theaters, and she made an appearance at the roller rink that my niece manages. She was quite thrilled to meet Ms. Barrymore. For that reason alone, this will be worth a rental.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
It was honestly one of my favorites of 2009 as well. It made my Top Ten even. I've actually seen it on a few others.

So few saw it theatrically that it should turn out to be a big surprise to some on DVD and Blu-Ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks