What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ "What a Way to Go!" -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
J. Lee Thompson's 1964, "What a Way to Go!" probably sounded like a good idea at the time, and may have worked better as an Ealing comedy, with Sir Alec playing all the roles.

What we have here is an impressive line-up of stars, who appear in roles, just larger than cameos, but for very little purpose in the end.

Short of the Fox logo, which looks to have been taken from a faded scope print, to better match the opening title sequence, the material looks nice, with appropriate color and densities.

One thing that I'd always wondered, after seeing her work in the Marx Brothers films, was if their consummate foil, Margaret DuMont, could actually act, if given the chance.

The answer, seeing her in a supporting role here, turns out to be...

Not so much.

This one is for completists, seeking to collect the entire set of MacLaine, Newman, Mitchum, Martin or Kelly.

Image - 4

Audio - 4.5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yeah . . . . I remember seeing this film when it was new, and being disappointed. I didn't know it at the time but I was beginning not to be enchanted with Shirley MacLaine. (I'd seen her in The Apartment and thought she was superb. I still do, even though in all her other films she now leaves me cold).

Without someone magical in the central role, this film simply didn't work for me. It seems it doesn't for RAH either. Strangely enough, I would be interested in seeing it again, just once.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Yeah . . . . I remember seeing this film when it was new, and being disappointed. I didn't know it at the time but I was beginning not to be enchanted with Shirley MacLaine. (I'd seen her in The Apartment and thought she was superb. I still do, even though in all her other films she now leaves me cold).

Without someone magical in the central role, this film simply didn't work for me. It seems it doesn't for RAH either. Strangely enough, I would be in interested in seeing it again, just once.

I'd suggest watching it for just M DuMont.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I actually returned to see this a second time at the then-newish Mt. Kisco (New York) Theater, but I did that with most of the films that played there, as I could ride my bike to it and I loved that we had a theater (my theater, as I thought of it) in the neighborhood. In those days, most movies only ran 3-4 days (Sun-Tue, Wed-Sat), so if you wanted to catch something a second time before it went into the long purgatory between pre-video theatrical and edited, commercials-added network t.v. showings, you couldn't waste any time. For me, back then, admission was 50 cents (I was 14, but could still pass for 11).

I haven't seen it since 1964, but I do remember it had some really entertaining moments...not enough to explain the film's running time, but as a kid, I loved (and still love) slapstick, and this film has some. It ain't IAMMMMW, but then, what is?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
It's a film I moderately enjoy but don't love. In such cases, the DVD will do just fine for me. I can't afford to upgrade everything to blu (and even if I could, I wouldn't) and have to pick and choose what makes the cut. What A Way to Go doesn't but I'm happy to have it on DVD.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
I loved this movie, and think that it really holds up. For film lovers, it is a nice mash up of different movie styles. Loved the French art film (B&W) with Paul Newman.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
MacLaine is magical enough for me in this film. I've always enjoyed it. Looking forward to seeing how it goes over on Blu-ray, though I have little hope that my favourite MacLaine comedy - "My Geisha" - will ever make it to the format.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I saw WHAT A WAY TO GO! in a theater when it was first released. I was young...but loved it. To this day it is still one of my favorites..call it a guilty pleasure.....but I still enjoy the spoofs on films...silent, naughty black and white French films, Musicals, Lush budget films :).

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
It's also worth it for many wonderful moments. The costumes were very costly and beautiful, the production numbers were a lot of fun and the music was all original. The story was by Comden and Green.

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
I watched the new disc last night and although I can't say that there were any laugh-out-loud moments, the film was never boring and it was great to see all of the people who are in it. A beautiful transfer too. I could never understand why Reginald Gardiner got the billing he got for such a little part.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks