What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ West Side Story -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
That and the inclusion of the original 6-track mix will be the deciding factors as to whether I will eventually buy a Criterion edition of West Side Story (supposing this is true).
Keep in mind that the original 6-track mix is too "big" for most home theatres, and would require substantial rewiring and jiggery-pokery to duplicate in the home setting. The original 6-track mix was restored in 2010 http://in70mm.com/news/2010/wss/index.htm, but the 4-track mix (also restored) would be the preferred mix for the vast majority of HT setups.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Keep in mind that the original 6-track mix is too "big" for most home theatres, and would require substantial rewiring and jiggery-pokery to duplicate in the home setting. The original 6-track mix was restored in 2010 http://in70mm.com/news/2010/wss/index.htm, but the 4-track mix (also restored) would be the preferred mix for the vast majority of HT setups.

Can you please explain what you mean? Thanks.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Which of course can be done and provide a much better mix than the present 5.1
As Stephen says the 4 track is far better on this present release.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
The four-track sounds great as I recall. I remember that the 5.1 doesn't have the whistles pre-overture coming from all sides, which it absolutely did in the roadshow mix. I want that back. But if this news IS true, I can't imagine why anyone would think Criterion would ever do a release like this without a brand new transfer of some sort.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
I don't care who reissues the film next, on whatever media, as long as they fix the mistake. Subpar PQ is one thing, but a 3 - 4 second dropout or green-out just before the overture sequence climax, is something else...
I realise mistakes happen, but this is not Jaws 4 (no offence), this is WEST SIDE STORY. There are some films you don't screw up... and if you do, you FIX it and fix it correctly ASAP.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Just bumping this out of obscurity for the moment to see if anyone's heard anything new as to whether MGM plans to bring this to 4k UHD anytime soon, or if it's more likely to be (Bluray only) via a third party such as Kino (who've brought us some nice editions of MGM/UA classics lately)... Last I heard, Criterion was supposedly eyeing this one for their illustrious line, but haven't heard anything more on that in almost a year...

Last edited:

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Meant to revise post but ran out of time (semi-thanks to PC issues) - but since no one has responded...

Just trying to bump this out of obscurity to see if anyone has any new info on MGM plans to bring this to 4k UHD sooner or later, or if it's more likely to be (Bluray only) from a third party such as Kino (who've brought us some nice editions of MGM/UA classics lately)... I understand certain plans/announcements may be in temporary limbo since the studio's decision to trim itself (yes, pun intended) of Mr. Barber. Last I heard, Criterion was supposedly eyeing this one for their illustrious line, but that was almost a year ago..

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
We're getting a GREASE 4K so I'm sure we'll get WEST SIDE STORY in 4K in the future -- especially since Spielberg is working on a remake at this very minute.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Nobody ever says "I goofed"

VCI did, for ONE MILLION B.C. While not exactly saying "We goofed," Fox gave us a new PATTON, DreamWorks gave us a new GLADIATOR, Universal gave us a new SPARTACUS (long time coming, though). All but the last offered free replacement discs. There have been others. It's not unheard of.

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
MGM hasn't even started releasing UHD discs yet, so don't expect anything anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks