What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ West Side Story -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
"West Side Story" Blu-ray is for sale today at Amazon for $5.00. Giving away a poor product. Any chance a remaster is in the works?

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
And if you are thinking of getting it, be sure to read through this massive thread, because it's a real gem (mostly). Lots of good info on the Blu-ray and its problems, but also on the Blu-ray transfer process itself. RAH's and Bruce's posts should be required reading for all home video maniacs (definition being: an obsessed enthusiast). :)

Cinéaste

Grip
Real Name
Antoine Doinel
I know this is anathema to some of you, but, does anyone know if the 1080p digital download from iTunes has the same problems? Or is it the proper, corrected version?

Thanks

Cinéaste

Grip
Real Name
Antoine Doinel
andySu said:
Stumbled on this.

That's definitely not a restored print. I just saw a restored print two weekends ago at the Museum of the Moving Image here in New York (also with the newly rediscovered and restored 6 track magnetic sound track) and the green transition between red and blue was there (and by the way the sound was AMAZIIIIING).

This is what it *should* look like:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Um, this crazy stuff is STILL going on??? The "restored" print above is not restored - it's off the same problematic element used for the first Blu-ray pressing - there is no fade to black at any time during this sequence. Ever.

The second example of what it "should" look like is also incorrect and the fade to black was put in to disguise the problem, which is the few frames of green. While the dissolve is correct, in doing whatever that transfer was, some green frames ended up being there - those were NEVER EVER part of this sequence. It should dissolve from the "mambo" color to the final blue. No green, no fade out. It's unbelievable to me that people still post incorrect things on this title.

Cinéaste

Grip
Real Name
Antoine Doinel
haineshisway said:
Um, this crazy stuff is STILL going on??? The "restored" print above is not restored - it's off the same problematic element used for the first Blu-ray pressing - there is no fade to black at any time during this sequence. Ever.

The second example of what it "should" look like is also incorrect and the fade to black was put in to disguise the problem, which is the few frames of green. While the dissolve is correct, in doing whatever that transfer was, some green frames ended up being there - those were NEVER EVER part of this sequence. It should dissolve from the "mambo" color to the final blue. No green, no fade out. It's unbelievable to me that people still post incorrect things on this title.
Well perhaps the green wasn't there and I am remembering incorrectly, but there was definitely no fade out/in.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Cinéaste said:
Well perhaps the green wasn't there and I am remembering incorrectly, but there was definitely no fade out/in.
Correct and there have been forty-four pages of posts here saying that. The GREEN frames were a mistake when this was transferred for DVD and I am convinced that the fade out/in was done to cover it up, rather than actually address the problem and redo it from scratch.

Cinéaste

Grip
Real Name
Antoine Doinel
haineshisway said:
Correct and there have been forty-four pages of posts here saying that. The GREEN frames were a mistake when this was transferred for DVD and I am convinced that the fade out/in was done to cover it up, rather than actually address the problem and redo it from scratch.
Oh well excuse me, I haven't read all 44 pages. Not sure why this bends you out of shape so much.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Cinéaste said:
Oh well excuse me, I haven't read all 44 pages. Not sure why this bends you out of shape so much.
I'm not bent out of shape (not at my age) - you posted something and said it was accurate. It wasn't. This thread has been going on since the disc was released - if you don't want to read its contents, that is your choice, but don't be surprised when people correct you.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Haineshisway just tells it like it is. It's hard to read tone from posts. I'm sure he wasn't trying to be any of those. Don't be offended. [emoji3]

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I know you are new here so it takes a while to get to know people. Sometimes you gotta have a thick skin. Relax and enjoy your time here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks