What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ West Side Story -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
It seemed like perhaps this is a different and new replacement disc, since the gentleman had already received the original replacement disc?

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jordan
Moe Dickstein said:
It seemed like perhaps this is a different and new replacement disc, since the gentleman had already received the original replacement disc?
This was my thought as well. Not dropping a dime 'til I know for sure, but my fingers are crossed...

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Moe Dickstein said:
Maybe David can clarify this, but It sounded to me like the "replacement" disc he received was the exact same disc as the original one he sent back. So the one they're sending now is probably going to be the same Band-Aided version that they're calling "corrected."
But we'll see, I guess.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Bryan Tuck said:
Maybe David can clarify this, but It sounded to me like the "replacement" disc he received was the exact same disc as the original one he sent back. So the one they're sending now is probably going to be the same Band-Aided version that they're calling "corrected."
But we'll see, I guess.
That's the likely explanation. I was trying to illuminate Bruce on why people were talking and excited.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
[SIZE= 14px]"We will be sending out a replacement West Side Story 50th Anniversary Blu-Ray that we have confirmed has been corrected."[/SIZE]

I'd sure like to see some faces and names and dates and signatures attached to that statement.

Assuming, of course, that it's the same old same old. If it were somehow to be the real thing, then I'd still want to see it, but only to publicly thank them.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
The Fox Video lady said the Blu-Ray had been corrected when I told her I'd already received a replacement disc that was the same as the one I had returned. This was before I saw the e-mail with its "we have confirmed has been corrected". Why would they be bothering now otherwise? I'm taking all of this with a (mildly hopeful) grain of salt.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
You will receive exactly what everyone else has received - the Band-Aid fix. Why you continue to be even mildly hopeful is anyone's guess, but I understand hope is a good thing. They have confirmed it's been "corrected" because they have "corrected" the original disc, corrected not being accurate.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Moe Dickstein /t/315747/a-few-words-about-west-side-story-in-blu-ray/720#post_3981612

Exactly.

Hopes could likely be dashed with the possibility of a miscommunication of some sort...but it sounds like David was contacted about a re-replacement.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
That's how it sounds to me, too. I'm no fool, so sure, it's highly likely to lead to some sort of disappointment, but I don't mind giving Fox Video the benefit of the doubt given the unusual circumstances. I'll post the (no doubt) thrilling outcome as soon as the disc in question arrives at my door.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by Bryan Tuck /t/315747/a-few-words-about-west-side-story-in-blu-ray/750#post_3981645
But we'll see, I guess.

That is how interpreted it. There is no re-replacement, as he never received a "proper" replacement disc to begin with.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
haineshisway said:
I do hope everyone has read this entire thread and understands that the replacement disc, while putting a Band-Aid on the problem, does not fix the problem.
Steve Tannehill said:
That's why I never sent my original copy in. What's the point?
+1
Moe Dickstein said:
I seriously doubt the replacement will be nothing but the existing "corrected" :rolleyes: version.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
eric scott richard said:
The most disappointing blu-ray of a classic. I want this so badly in HD but will not purchase this mess.
I would give the "most disappointing Blu ray of a classic" award to My Fair Lady. MFL is a far bigger mess than WSS. I did buy WSS but will not buy MFL.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Originally Posted by JimmyK /t/315747/a-few-words-about-west-side-story-in-blu-ray/750#post_3981914
I would give the "most disappointing Blu ray of a classic" award to My Fair Lady. MFL is a far bigger mess than WSS. I did buy WSS but will not buy MFL.

Same here, exactly.

RapalloAV

Auditioning
Real Name
Murray
eric scott richard said:
The most disappointing blu-ray of a classic. I want this so badly in HD but will not purchase this mess.
I mentioned this earlier in the thread. MFL you cant even watch, its impossible as the fault is all the way through the movie and both the left and right hand sides of the image are faded and washed out, almost sepia tone. I have NO idea what ever happened with that transfer but it was never in any others before the BD. Shame though its rarely mentioned on forums like WSS is.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by MattH. /t/315747/a-few-words-about-west-side-story-in-blu-ray/750#post_3981951
Yes, My Fair Lady is the winner of the "worst classic" contest. Compared to it, West Side Story looks stellar!

Agreed. At least with WSS, MGM bothered to make a new (though seriously flawed) transfer.

The MFL disc was not only the worst, but the laziest. I refuse to purchase it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks